Premed 101 Forums

anyone looking for fellow med roommates?

Guest uwoheather

Guest uwoheather

hi guys,

just wondering if anyone is looking for other med students to live with next year in hamilton? let me know

congrats everyone!

Guest Head Dawg

Wow Heather, you're really on top of things!!

Yep, seems I too will be hunting for a place in Hamilton, hopefully close to the campus. I guess other things to consider are how much travel is involved within the city (ie. to different clinics, hospitals etc. . . ) and how good the public transport is. Anyone with thoughts on this topic?? I'd be thrilled for your advice.

Cheers

Guest WesternGirl

Congratulations of getting in, both of you!!!

People in my class live all over the city. I would say many students in my class lives in the Westdale area, which is generally walking distance to Mac. However, there are lots of students who live downtown (which is closer to St. Joe's and the Hamilton General), some who live in Dundas (just west of the university) and several others from out of town (TO, Oakville, Guelph, etc).

It's really hard to guess where you will be spending most of your time. Tutorials can be held pretty much in any hospital, and that depends on your tutor's preference, so it could change every unit. Also clinical skills will usually be held in the hospital where your clinical skills preceptor is. Again, it could be anywhere. There is a group who have to go Brantford for clinical skills every week! Talk about a long ride...

So...it doesn't really matter where you live, because you could end up anywhere. We do have all of our large group sessions and small group sessions at Mac, as well as having the library there. So, you will have to travel to Mac at least once or twice a week, minimum, maybe more if you prefer to study in the library.

Before all of you start looking around for cars(!), you can usually get rides to the other hospitals with some member of your group. Carpooling is done quite often within the group.

I haven't used public transport, but from what I hear, it's not the greatest, especially in the evenings, in terms of frequency (please correct me if I'm wrong). You can usually buy a bus pass from undergraduate students in the beginning of the year (a bus pass is included in their student fees, but not ours - don't ask me why!). Parking passes at Mac are based on a lottery system and I know there are some members of my class who did not get a pass. And if you do get a parking pass, good luck because you need to take a shuttle bus from the lot to the hospital (about a 15 min walk). We do love that shuttle bus, eh Jess???

I hope this helps...and sorry for the long post. Good luck house hunting!

Guest IRNBRUD

I just wanted to add that I am a fairly active user of public transit in Hamilton and also an advocate of its use (good for the env and all that 8o ). Basically getting to mac during business hours is super easy. Frequency at night though is dependent on where you live. The bus by my house only comes every 1/2 hour which isn't really that bad. I have had no difficulties using transit to get to Henderson Hospital and also to Chedoke. St. Joes and the General are downtown so they shouldn't be a problem either.

I guess what I'm saying is that if you come from any of the larger centres (ie, Toronto) you are going to be really disappointed :rolleyes with the system. If you are committed to public transit, you shouldn't have a problem making it work. :D

Cheers,

IB

Archived