Premed 101 Forums

International Electives

Guest pasoo

Guest pasoo

Hi guys,

I was just wondering something...does Mac elective time allow you to persue electives overseas, such as in US, or Switzerland/France ;) for example?

thanks

Guest macMDstudent

Several people are doing international electives this summer. They just have to be approved a long time in advance. So the short answer in yes!

Guest pasoo

hi!

do you know where you can find more info about international electives, as well as how does one go about applying for one of these?

thanks!

Guest jmh2005

You can't really start getting things in order until school starts...many places require letters from the Dean of your good standing, but as soon as school starts you'll be given all the info you need.

However, if you personally know of physicians or PhDs who are willing to take you, you can go or do just about anything you want...call them/email them, let them know that you are interested in an electives this time next year.

Guest WesternGirl

Just to repeat what my classmates said, yes, we have plenty of opportunity to complete electives abroad. In the first summer, we have nine weeks (eight weeks of electives plus one week of holidays) where we are free to go pretty much anywhere for our electives. I'm going to South Africa for 6 weeks and I know of several other classmates going to other countries.

There is a binder in the MD office (which you can look into after you start med school) which lists elective experiences of other students. Or, you can post a question on our e-mail system asking other students if they've done an elective in the country you are interested in. But mainly, you have to find out where you'd like to go, whether its feasible and you have to do all the paperwork on time. But you can start the process in October/November of your first year.

For now...just relax, enjoy your summer and try not to think about med school. Trust me...enjoy these "free" summers while you still have them!

Guest grandmellon

I think its awesome that people can do and are doing international electives! what a great way to learn about different cultures and health care around the world. There are opportunities and things that you can see in different countries that you definitely wouldn't get in Canada!

Westerngirl... are you going to south africa this summer? Are you going by yourself or with other classmates? have you established contact with a physician there? What will you be doing there? :rollin thanks in advance! hehehe... I'm going to africa this summer with several medical dental and nursing students... we are going to tanzania and we leave in less than 2 weeks. Visit our website if you would like to learn more http://www.medoutreach.tk

Guest WesternGirl

Hi Grandmellow,

I'm going to Pretoria, in South Africa this summer. I am also leaving in less than two weeks (June 19th to be exact). I'm doing the elective through the medical school at the University of Pretoria, so they have set me up with a couple of physicians at the main hospital. I am going by myself...but it should be fun anyways. I'm going to be doing Internal Medicine for 5 weeks and then travelling in my one week off.

Your trip sounds like a lot of fun also, as well as a great learning experience. Have fun!

Guest grandmellon

Thats insane! We leave june 19th too... what airlines are you flying? We are flying AC out of toronto at 10 pm to london heathrow... that would be hilarious if we were on the same flight... :rollin

Guest WesternGirl

Hehe...that would be too much of a coincidence. Actually, I'm flying out of TO but through KLM, stopping in Amsterdam. And I think my flight is sometime around 4 pm...so we probably won't meet...but that would have been cool.

Archived