Premed 101 Forums

requirements etc.

Guest ikaj

Guest ikaj

hey,

I am a below avg applicant in terms of gpa, mcat etc. (compared to some of the ppl on this board).

Anyway, it seems like Mac does not have a provincial quota and it doesn't look at the mcat and i think someone posted on this board that ppl with gpas of 3.0 have actually gotten in...sounds too good to be true.

What's the catch---are they looking for mature students, students who have volunteered overseas...

I live in Alberta...I wonder if I would have a chance at Mcmaster.:rolleyes

Guest gucio93

Yes it is true that some people with a GPA of 3.0 (that is the absolute minimum) have gotten in, however, that is not the general rule. These people are truly outstanding in terms of their life experiences and accomplishments that are non-academic in nature. You may have heard of the sketch that you write as part of your application (basically it is 15 questions that you have to answer). This sketch is what you must master in order to have a shot at Mac. You can learn more through these links:

www.fhs.mcmaster.ca/mdprog

www.ouac.on.ca/omsas/pdf/b_omsas_e.pdf

Guest WesternGirl

Hi ikaj,

While it is true that some people with GPAs of 3.0 have gotten into Mac, those are the exception, not the norm (class average is about 3.5-3.6). That being said, with a lower than average GPA, you would need a really great personal submission. That can really make or break you.

The "catch" is that over 3600 people applied for entry into Sept 2003, less than 400 were selected for an interview, and the class size next year is most probably going to be 138. So, there is a lot of competition, and it's tough to predict who will get in and who won't. While Mac doesn't look for any specific type of people or specific experiences (e.g., volunteering overseas), you do need to have some really good experiences where you learned something from them.

According the Mac's website, they look at in province/OOP for interview purposes, but probably not after that. I'm not sure if that's being changed or not.

Good luck with the process.

Edit: Looks like Guico93 beat me to the answer.

Archived