Premed 101 Forums

very basic info please

Guest Never2Late

Guest Never2Late

Hello everyone.

I have been a fan of this site for a while now and thought that I would finally ask some of my questions - those that I just can't seem to answer on my own. I am hoping that my questions will help some of you pass the time quicker... either from the agonizing wait of hearing from Mac or by helping the summer go by faster so you can start your studies! Hopefully this will be a welcome diversion!

My situation is this. I am 34 yrs old, graduated two yrs ago from a 3 yr college nursing program, currently work full time on an acute neurosurgical unit, and have decided that I am (in fact) not too old to pursue my dream of a career in medicine. The Mac med program seems perfect both for my learning style and my personal situation.

I am confused as to what options are favoured and/or accepted (by Mac) with regard to my university studies. I plan on obtaining my nursing degree (starting in the fall). I would really like to be able to continue working at present however I am wondering if obtaining a nsg degree on a part time basis would do the trick??? I can take the post RN course at the university which requires 10.5 full course equivalents - included are some chem and biology courses - although 2.5 credits are in elective courses (eg: other required sciences???) which are taken during this time.

So - with regard to applying to Mac... I would most certainly appreciate any information and suggestions that you can provide in general and especially with regard to the questions below:

Would the part time program offer enough courses that I could apply to Mac? (eg: would it be enough just to have the degree regardless of the number of courses?)

Would a part time degree be considered even if I were to take some additional courses?

Is returning to university full time (at this point) my only option?

Also, I might add that I have visited the Mac and OMSAS site previously and still remain unsure.

I appreciate any info - thanks!

Guest jmh2005

not2late,

There is no one specific background that McMaster 'likes'...people come from a real variety of backgrounds, and there are several nurses in my class...11 to be exact!! I think nursing is a great choice!!

As for the requirements...this degree needs to have at least 15 full-year credits, the equivalent of 3 full-time years of study. I don't think that the 10.5 required of the post-RN program will be enough...you have to have 15 but in any field, degree, program at the university level... but I don't think that you need to have done these on a full-time basis.

Because this is a bit of a unique program, but 3 years is still the absolute minimum, you could do the 10.5 in the program and another 4.5 of electives...I would e-mail Mac admissions directly or give them a call and explain the program...I don't want to give you wrong advice, sorry I can't be of more assistance.

Good luck!!

Guest Never2Late

Thank you, JMH for the reply - your info does help.

As for obtaining the 15 credits required - I can add to my courseload while I am working on the nsg degree. I will have to work out which particular courses will be most appropriate for this purpose. At the risk of being a pain... any suggestions???

My main concern has been that of returning to school full time this fall. I am hoping to do a year of my degree part time and then jump in full time next year.

I'm glad to hear that nursing is a suitable background for Mac med students! (Especially with 11 in your class) In my reading it appears that a change in career choices - in particularly from nursing - has to be totally justified during the admissions process. I'm wondering if your fellow classmates found this aspect difficult? I don't think that saying 'nursing isn't enough for me' would suffice. (NOTE: since I am actually IN the nursing profession I wish to make it known that I am not putting down nursing in any way, shape, or form... I am just saying that for me personally - I'd like more. Just my personal opinion.) I'd be curious to hear more about their particular experiences - both during the application process and while in school. I've often thought it would be nice to see a whole topic devoted to RNs turned Med as it would certainly provide a lot of insight for people like me. I also wonder how their nursing background impacts their studies during medical school. Ok... Ok... enough of that - I'm off topic here.

JMH, I thank you for your info and will take your advice of contacting Mac myself for further details. In the meantime - I'll keep checking this string in hopes of seeing more suggestions, tips, advice, etc.

Take care!

Guest jmh2005

never2late,

In terms of courses my best suggestion is to take something you enjoy and something that you are going to do well in...marks are important, you need to have the best GPA you can get...Mac only requires the 3.00 but there are few accepted below the 3.30 range.

There are many 'career switchers' in my class, myself included...I was an Occupational Therapist before my journey into medicine...I felt the same way you do...I seek more responsibility for the health and well being of others and was fascinated by the diagnostic and treatment process found only in medicine, I also want to see people before they get sick, I missed the preventative/health promotion aspects found in medicine ...and there is nothing wrong with this!! A very valid reason, one many of us switchers have used!!

I'm sorry I can't be of more assistance now...hopefully some of my classmates can provide some more insights because there are several who monitor this board as well!

Take care.

Guest Never2Late

Hi again.

Just FYI: I was reading some info under a Mac Q&A section and came across the following (pasted from site):

Q: I did a two year degree completion program. Am I eligible?

Any applicant who has an undergraduate university degree is eligible to apply, even if that degree was obtained in less than three years. Those who have done a two year "degree completion" program must have been conferred the degree by the October 15, 2003 application deadline. Advanced degrees and a minimum GPA of 3.0 on the OMSAS 4.0 scale granted in the absence of an undergraduate degree will not be accepted.

Q: I have a graduate degree but do not have an undergrad degree. Am I eligible to apply?

No. You must have at least three years of undergraduate work or an undergraduate degree (even if obtained in less than three years). Graduate degrees that were obtained under special circumstances (where the applicant was enrolled without an undergrad degree) are not acceptable.

The above information is what had been confusing me. Ie: Do I need the 15 credits... or the degree... or as assumed - both? The way the answer is stated it sounds to me that if I were to take just the post RN degree (with its 11.5 credits) full OR part time, I would be eligible to apply.

Just thought I'd add this along to my previous posts.

Take care!

Guest jmh2005

This is why it is always best to check with Mac...I wasn't even aware of that clause...that might work out in your favour, because the way that is written it sounds like you just need the degree and not necessarily the 15 full-year credits...

I would still recommend calling them directly...they ALWAYS have the last word!

Guest WesternGirl

I agree with Jess. It seems like you need either an undergrad degree (even if finished in less than three years) or if you don't have one, then you need a min. three years of undergrad. You should really e-mail or call the admissions office just to confirm.

On a side note, if you are even considering applying to any other school besides Mac, I think most of them require a full course load (5 full courses), so you should take that into mind when planning your schedule.

Guest Lynlloyd

Hi there Never2late,

I agree that the information can be very confusing. I think you have already had sound advice to contact Mac directly to answer your specific application criteria.

I'm a nurse now switching to meds (accepted to Mac this year). I also completed a Post RN degree program. I was given a 1 year credit in what would normally have been a 4 year honours program for non RN's. The program was then condensed into 2 years by working through the summers.

I wonder how this compares to the program you are planning to take?

I don't think you have "justify" why you are leaving nursing. What's more important are your very well thought out and solid reasons for entering medicine, whatever your background.

My reasons were a desire to expand my clinical skills and to care for patients in a more comprehensive way. Quite simply, I wanted a broader scope of practice.

Good luck as you navigate through your nursing degree and through the medical school application process.

Lynlloyd.

Guest Never2Late

I just wanted to thank you all for your MUCH APPRECIATED advice. It's really nice to hear everyone's opinions, advice, and support.

Today while at work I had the opportunity to speak with one of Mac's Associate Prof's... however it just so happens we were discussing the details of a particular pt rather than the many questions rushing about my brain regarding medical school. It was all I could do not to DRILL him on everything that I JUST NEED TO KNOW RIGHT NOW (hahaha) and looking back I am rather proud of my ability to abstain from pouncing on him.

So now, I'll write my email to Mac admissions and send it off. I'll keep you posted on any thing I learn.

Thanks for the input- I'll be back.

Guest gucio93

Hi Never2Late!

I have also worked as an RN for 3 years before switching to medicine. I have to say that if I had to do it over again I would in a heartbeat! Although I enjoyed nursing, as you have pointed out, it did not feel as though it was enough, it did not feel complete. It sounds like you have received an answer to your question. I would second the opinion that it is either the degree or three years if your degree is not finished, but again, good idea to check with admissions.

I think the biggest advantage that nursing offers (similarly to other health care professions) is that you feel comfortable and at ease with patients from the very first day on the wards. It is so much easier to learn new skills when you are comfortable in approaching your patient and initiating physical contact in a graceful way. I did find that medicine has quite a different slant on what you must learn and although exposure to nursing was helpful in terms of making things familiar, it still did not truly lessen the amount of time I needed to spend in order to prepare for tutorials,etc.

Guest Never2Late

I was looking up the phone number for Mac and realized that they had sent me another email regarding my admission questions.

Basically, the Post RN degree (10.5 full credits) even if taken on a part time basis is "quite acceptable" for admission to Mac.

This is quite the good news for me considering I'm still not sure that I will be able to return to university full time this fall (although I am certainly working on it!!!).

Gucio - I suppose part of me had been hoping that by having previous experience as a nurse the whole med school process would be ... easier (for lack of a better term). I do realize however that the scope and depth of what a med student is required to learn goes beyond that of an RN. And, agree that the learning required would be 'at a different slant' like you said. I do think though that experience with relationships, skills,assessments, etc would be of benefit also.

On another note, I am wondering if you ever (presently) work alongside any of your former nsg colleagues? I am wondering about their reactions regarding your being a med student now. The reason I ask is that personally I tend to think that some of my own colleagues would not be too impressed (not that it would bother me in the least). Regardless I think that there are always those who are critical (of any type of situation not to their preferences) when someone desires more than what they've already got. And really, just as I feel medicine is a career that I am destined to... there are many who feel the same in their own chosen career (nsg included).

I will go now in order to formulate more questions for next time. (What??? Was that a sigh and a groan that I just heard??? Just kidding, but please know I truly appreciate all of your input here)

Take care all!

Guest gucio93

I have not worked along my nursing colleagues because when I worked as an RN, I did so in another city. My very close friends who are nurses were very happy for me and very supportive. However, I agree with you that not every RN will be supportive, some may infact be quite mean, when hearing that you were a nurse previously and switched to medicine. I certainly do not advertise this on the wards unless I am asked directly about my background prior to entering medicine. To add to that, some MDs also have slanted views of nurses and no matter how inaccurate those views may be, they sometimes can treat you differently if you have been a nurse prior to medical school ...

Guest Never2Late

Yes - I can see that the career switch may not always be recepted with great enthusiasm and that the negativity can come at you from all directions so to speak. I trust that any excessive reactions though are few and far between... as long as you (like you say) don't go around telling everyone that you've made a switch.

I would also like to thank you for the editing.... can I hire you during my application stage???

Archived