Premed 101 Forums

application process

Guest ikaj

Hi, I just decided that I would apply to Mcmaster this year. (I don't think I'll get in-but I want to go through the application process). I guess the applications for now are for aug 2004 entrance... On the Mcmaster website it said that the application policies won't be published until 2004. The application deadline is October 2003? Is this right?

Anyway, I must sound very confused right now..I am...I don't know where to start.

Can someone direct me on how I should begin the application process? Is this a good time to begin thinking about the application...or is it too soon or a little late?

thanks, you guys have been very helpfull so far!

Guest MDWannabe

The application deadline for August 2003 was October 15,2002, and the activity you are seeing now is around the date that the med schools have advised applicants of their acceptance/rejection/wait list status.

It's never too early to apply, though! If past form is followed, OMSAS (Ontario Med School Application Service) provides on line application service in early July for the med school class beginning August 2004. Application deadline is normally around Oct 15, and if you are granted an interview at Mac, it would normally take place at the end of March or beginning of April, 2004. But if you were to apply for next year, you should start getting your thoughts together now (ie time line of your life experiences, who you will use as your three references, etc). Check out the contents of this section below and you will find a lot of answers to your questions.

Good luck!

(note changes in bold face)

Guest WesternGirl

A quick correction to MDWannabe's post:

For entry into the class that starts in August 2004, the application deadline is October 15, 2003 and interviews will be held in March/April 2004. OMSAS will have the application online sometime in July 2003, and Mac's policies for that year should be available then also.

I just read Mac's website about the confusion over the policies. While the policies for entry into 2004 will be published in the OMSAS 2004 Application Booklet, I think that booklet actually comes out in July 2003...it's for the classes starting in 2004. Hope this helps.

Guest MDWannabe

Thanks Westerngirl,

I've got to make sure I don't post so late at night, my dates slipped on the year digit and I have corrected the post.

Thanks for the clarification. So, another question...I am applying after my 3rd year for entrance after my 4th year. Are they gonna look at my fourth year marks at all?

I was going through a tough family situation in the first semester which really destroyed my gpa, I was hoping to redeem my self in 4th year.

thanks!

Guest MDWannabe

I'm not sure whether they would take your 4th year marks into account, best to call and get the answer from the horses mouth. The admissions office people are a very helpful lot! You should be clear on the fact that they will continue to count all undergrad marks equally, whether they were done in the summer or during the school year. Each of your good/bad other marks will still be counted, whether or not your 4th year marks are included.

Archived