Premed 101 Forums

autobiographical sketch

Guest Glendyn

Guest Glendyn

I am applying to McMaster for Sept. 2004, and currently looking at the application process. I see there are 15 questions as part of the autobiographical section. I guess I'm a little confused because one could answer most of these questions without sharing a great deal of their personal history.

Any comments on this.

Thanks.

Guest MDWannabe

When you actually get down to answering the questions, you will find that a lot of your personal history will come out, particularly in the second half. Sure, there are some general questions that get a sense how your thought patterns work; but in asking you why you want to be a physician, how you have given of yourself in the past, what you hope to bring to the program, and the discussion of significant personal failure, you can't help but discuss your background. Note also that you also effectively provide a life resume in the autobiographical sketch. So between the sketch and the essays, the adcom gets a lot of info.

Please note the thread entitled "application process" too. These essays may or may not be changing, and I would wait until the beginning of July to find out before you spend too much time on this aspect.

Guest Glendyn

Thanks for the response.

Are you saying there is both a "sketch" and a series of 15 essays - or is this the same thing. I do not have the new application (it comes out in July).

Thanks

G

Guest MacLady

The Autobiographical Sketch is the point form listing of activities since the age of 16. The Autobiographical Submission is the list of questions.

Archived