Premed 101 Forums

CPR & First Aid

Guest macdreams

Guest macdreams

Hi,

I was wondering if someone who got in to mac this year or a moderator could help me. I want to take a CPR/First Aid course (probably with St. John) this summer for my own education. I think it would be a total PLUS if I took one that that Mac recommends (as I know you have to take one before starting medical school). So.... does any one know which one they suggest? There are SO many titles; I'm a little confused!! :b

Thanks!

md

Guest MACFORME

Hey md,

I just did a course two weekends ago. I did it with Red Cross. They did the Level C CPR + Basic First Aid course over a Saturday and Sunday from 9-5pm. St. John's offers the same course but its 3 days instead of two and is a little bit more expensive.

For Mac, you only need the level C CPR course but for other schools like Ottawa and Toronto you need both the Level C CPR and the First aid so I'd suggest you do a course that has both.

It was lots of fun and I learned a lot of neat stuff.

I hope that has helped..

MFM

Guest MDWannabe

If you are actually going to Mac in August, I understand that there is always someone in the program who will run CPR courses. This was the case when we started last year. You can therefore save yourself the trouble of trying to arrange one in advance of starting the program.

Guest macdreams

Hey everyone!

Thanks for the advice... I'm not headed to mac (yet!!!) but want to take the course for my own benefit :)

So.... I've signed up with the Red Cross for a Level C CPR + Basic First Aid course over a Saturday and Sunday from 9-5pm (just like you, MACFORME!)

Excitement! :b :D:)

md

Guest MACFORME

Yah I did the Red Cross course and it was lots of fun. Dont worry, it wont go 9-5 both days, we finished early both days ;-).

md, I will try to attend the info-session next month and am game for meeting up early.

MFM

Guest macdreams

MFM @ the info session??? But I thought you alerady got it, silly! :b

Are you coming to lend moral support to us (multi-time) applicants? If so, that would be AMAZING!!!! :eek

md

Guest MACFORME

Hey md,

I too need to know what Mac's all about ;-)!!!

That's why I would like to come down too. And yes, it would be nice to meet you all once again. I am not sure but will try to come down July 9.

MFM

Guest macdreams

Hey Nams,

Here are the courses that are going on soon:

A Red Cross one on June 28th and 29th... Don Mills and Eglinton.

A St. John Ambulance one on July 5th and 6th... Bloor and Church.

Another Red Cross one on July 19th and 20th... scheduled for the Toronto Rehab Institute at University and College but will probably be moved due to SARS.

Those are all CPR Basic Rescuer Level C AND Standard First Aid. There are, of course, more dates and locations but those are the 3 I'm considering. If you wanna do one of them with me, Nams, (that would be AWESOME, btw!!) gimme a shout: zophloph@icqmail.com

md

Archived