Premed 101 Forums

Canadian Application: Chances for medical school in states?

Hey so I've had a rough go at determining whether I should continue to pursue my ultimate goal: Med School.

I have a Kin degree from Western with the following gpa: 1-3.25, 2- 3.1, 3-3.39, 4-3.68, 5-3.7 --> overall - 3.42

I took the MCAT this year and got 517- 130/127/130/130 - 95% percentile

My EC are volunteering helping the elderly rehab, Research assistant in a neuroscience cognitive lab, helping out the youth, and job shadowing a  doc in internal medicine

I currently got accepted into a masters program for cell growth and development at  McMaster and also the paramedic program at Fanshawe. Not sure what do... I really want to be a physician and I have a 3 year window with my MCAT score, should I pursue a Masters to raise my academic standing? Paramedic for experience? Or does my gpa negate my chances anyways?

I would be happy with getting into an osteopathic med school as well?

Thoughts appreciated!

GPA's a flag, although it is a rising trend... How many hours do you have for each EC? Any publications for Research? I'm not so sure if 'elderly rehab' can be considered a clinical volunteering - is it directly associated with hospitals? Any direct hospital volunteering hours? Also, Masters' wont help you with GPAs. Is a second Bachelor's or US post-bacc a feasible option for you? 

Archived