Premed 101 Forums

McMaster admission Bachelors GPA submission questions

Hi everyone, had a quick question regarding which bachelors I need to submit. I have my undergrad in history 3.3GPA and BEd (Bachelor of Education) 3.8. Do I need to submit both, or just my BE.d?

Also, was wondering what my chances of getting in are as well. I also have an ME.d and I did pretty will on CARS with 129. I've been working as a teacher (permanent/ full time for YCDSB for 9 years). Im 32 right now? is that too old for admission?

thank you very much!

Definitely not too old for admission, sheesh! Also, Mac is a three year program so that saves you some time. (Not that you need it)

You need to submit both + every course ever taken. They average your cGPA and use that. Guessing yours is around 3.55, which isn't awful. Your CARS is fairly strong.

Mac scores applicants 33% CARS, 33% GPA and 33% CASPER pre interview... your GPA is fairly low, your CARS is good, if you KILL the CASPER test you could receive an interview. I am sure your teaching experience/life experience would shine through at the interview stage!

Hope this helped.

@OBoyMD thank you very much for the clear response. Yea, my cumulative GPA would be just over 3.5 if they average them out. However, a BA is 4 years, and my BE.d is only one year. would they see them as equal degrees? if so, that would be great. if not, I would be closers to 3.35. lol

Thank you!

Unfortunately its calculated based on courses taken, so if your BE'd is only one year, it will be likely that your GPA will be 3.35, which still doesn't make it impossible. Especially because youre quite a non traditional applicant. I

It has been done!

Still give it a shot. Prepare well for the CASPER.

4 hours ago, logic4Life said:

Hi everyone, had a quick question regarding which bachelors I need to submit. I have my undergrad in history 3.3GPA and BEd (Bachelor of Education) 3.8. Do I need to submit both, or just my BE.d?

Also, was wondering what my chances of getting in are as well. I also have an ME.d and I did pretty will on CARS with 129. I've been working as a teacher (permanent/ full time for YCDSB for 9 years). Im 32 right now? is that too old for admission?

thank you very much!

With 129 CARS (plus 128 BB and 126 CP) and WGPA (best 2 years) of 3.7 you might have a shot with Western as well.

@OBoyMD thanks again for your quick and informed responses. 

If the calculation is based on amount of courses, would they then consider my ME.d courses as well? because I did really well there too. 

Also, I am confused about your comment regarding being a non-traditional applicant. Are you saying my experience of experience teaching is a positive? I was under the impression that its black and white how they choose. They don't look at anything BUT your GPA/CARs/CASPER with their respective percentage breakdown. if so, how does my experience play into it positively in the admission formula, where would that fit in the formula?

Or is it an unwritten rule that older applications with work experience get preferential treatment when assessing their applications? sorry for the many questions, sort of new to this.

thank you very much!

3 hours ago, logic4Life said:

Also, I am confused about your comment regarding being a non-traditional applicant. Are you saying my experience of experience teaching is a positive? I was under the impression that its black and white how they choose. They don't look at anything BUT your GPA/CARs/CASPER with their respective percentage breakdown. if so, how does my experience play into it positively in the admission formula, where would that fit in the formula?

Or is it an unwritten rule that older applications with work experience get preferential treatment when assessing their applications? sorry for the many questions, sort of new to this.

Being a non-trad doesn't give you a direct edge pre-interview. Only way it can help you is maybe make you a more mature and wholesome individual which would show on casper and MMI.

Archived