Premed 101 Forums

Nursing As Premed?

carylm

Did anyone here took Nursing as their premed? If so, is this worth it or a good move? I'm currently a first year student taking a degree in Biochem, but I'm planning to switch to Nursing as my premed since I find it more hands-on. Am I doing the right move? Thanks in advance.

Hey Carylm!

I was in nursing in my first year, and my intention has always been to apply to medical school, too. I ended up switching into a science program after first year, as I thought that would give me a better foundation for applying to medical school. There are a few things to keep in mind with having nursing as your undergrad before medical school. First, it's generally difficult to maintain a higher GPA in nursing because a lot of the evaluation is subjective. Also, the set up of the program does not allow for a lot of flexibility to take other courses. For me, I would not have been able to take the pre-requisites that some schools require, or other courses to help prepare me for the MCAT. For those reasons, I would be hesitant to switch. Having said that though, it depends on the school(s) you'd like to apply to. I know that NOSM has generally accepted quite a few nursing graduates every year, for example. Ultimately, I think being in a program you find interesting will be more enjoyable, and make it easier to do well. Feel free to message me if you have more questions. Best of luck! :)

Thank you so much for your insight regarding this matter. This is very helpful and I agree with nursing as being mostly subjective when it comes to their assessments. So, I've decided to take Health Studies instead and just take courses that will help me in preparing for the MCAT. Also, I wonder if taking full load of classes per semester would be a good idea? I need some ideas about the dos and donts in choosing your courses in a semester :)

Thank you so much for your insight regarding this matter. This is very helpful and I agree with nursing as being mostly subjective when it comes to their assessments. So, I've decided to take Health Studies instead and just take courses that will help me in preparing for the MCAT. Also, I wonder if taking full load of classes per semester would be a good idea? I need some ideas about the dos and donts in choosing your courses in a semester :)

Glad I could help!  That sounds like a good balance, and ultimately, it's important to be in a program that you enjoy and are interested in. I also wanted to mention that if you can see yourself pursuing a career in nursing, it might be a good fit.  In terms of the course load, it's a good idea to take a full load if you're able to.  Different schools have different course load requirements, so it's worth looking into whether or not the schools you're interested in require a full course load every year, and what they consider to be full-time studies. :)

Archived