Premed 101 Forums

Obtaining Alberta Residency (IP)

Hey guys, so I'm IP BC, I've cross posted in UBC/UoA thread so hopefully not violating terms by posting here too.... 

Wondering if I work for 6-8 months rurally within Alberta whether I'd qualify for Alberta residency and rural considerations? If I got Alberta residency, do I get to keep my BC IP one if I'm back in BC and working by April / May next year? I will simultaneously be doing online schoolwork out of BC universities. 

What would be decent, competitive IP stats for UoC?

How many weeks out of each month, or months out of the year would I be required to live/work in Alberta in order to get my residency?

Both UofA and UofC have different criteria for obtaining IP status. 

UofA:

"A resident of Alberta is defined as a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident (Landed Immigrant) who has been continuously resident in the Province of Alberta, the Yukon, the Northwest Territories or Nunavut for at least one year immediately before the first day of classes of the term for which admission is sought."

UofC:

"Have been physically present in Alberta on a day-to-day basis for 24 consecutive months at some point between their 15th birthday and the first day of classes."

To answer your question, no, working for 6-8 months in Alberta will not qualify you for IP status. 
If you were to gain IP status as stated above, you do not have to give up your BC IP status. To my knowledge there is nothing that states you can't be IP for more than one school. 

Average entrance statistics can also be found on the UofC website. 

Archived