Premed 101 Forums

Really Need Advice Please! :(

Hi guys, I desperately need some advice. I feel so lost. Any advice would help!

Last summer, I was taking the MCAT and applying to med schools across Canada but things didn’t go as planned. I was only able to apply to the University of Calgary. I was invited for an interview and was waitlisted. I recently found out that I am on the bottom of the waitlist and my chances of getting in are almost none. 

I am planning on applying to American Med Schools in addition to Canadian this year to increase my chances. 

My stats are:

Completed a BSc in Biological Sciences from Calgary (2013-2018)

cGPA: 3:93 

sGPA: 3:93

MCAT: 508 (128,126,128,126) - REALLY WORRIED about my score. My father got diagnosed with advanced cancer and had surgery last summer when I wrote the exam

Definitely over 500 hours in each of the following - shadowing (3 years), research (no-pubs but 5 years), volunteering in a nursing home (7 years), executive club member for 2 student clubs (5 years each), player on a field hockey team (7 years) and volunteer coach for younger field hockey team (3 years), and tutoring adult learners English and Math skills at the library (7 years). Employed since high school- receptionist (2 years) optometric assistant (2 years), and now currently employed as a research assistant with a private healthcare analytics research company (3 years). 

I didn’t complete any english courses or OChem 2 but if I need too, I’ll do that this upcoming year. 

I’m REALLY worried if its too late in the cycle to apply to American schools? 

Any advice will really, really help! Also, any suggestions on which schools to apply and success stories will also tremendously help! 

I don't think it is late to apply to the United States, but apply to Canadian friendly schools :)  You have great ECs, but the US does not focus as much on ECs as Canadian schools. Also, re-apply again to more than one Canadian school. Why did you just apply to U of C? Do you think you can re-write the MCAT again for a bette sore ? 

Just now, Dr. End Poverty said:

I don't think it is late to apply to the United States, but apply to Canadian friendly schools :)  You have great ECs, but the US does not focus as much on ECs as Canadian schools. Also, re-apply again to more than one Canadian school. Why did you just apply to U of C? Do you think you can re-write the MCAT again for a bette sore ? 

Thank you so much! Do you have any Canadian friendly American schools in mind that I should def add to the list? I’m researching and making a list right now. Last summer, I was taking the MCAT and working on applying to multiple schools but unfortunately my dad was diagnosed with advanced cancer and underwent surgery. Things didn’t go as planned :( I’m planning on studying and rewriting the MCAT after I’m done with my primaries this summer. I’ll submit my old MCAT (508) to the American schools and use my new mcat (hopefully better score) for my Canadians applications. 

2 minutes ago, Snoop_doc123 said:

Thank you so much! Do you have any Canadian friendly American schools in mind that I should def add to the list? I’m researching and making a list right now. Last summer, I was taking the MCAT and working on applying to multiple schools but unfortunately my dad was diagnosed with advanced cancer and underwent surgery. Things didn’t go as planned :( I’m planning on studying and rewriting the MCAT after I’m done with my primaries this summer. I’ll submit my old MCAT (508) to the American schools and use my new mcat (hopefully better score) for my Canadians applications. 

PM your e-mail address and I'll send you a document  of Cdn friendly schools that a friend of mine gave me few years ago :) I'm not sure if it still accurate though

Archived