Premed 101 Forums

2018 Med-P Questions

I just got the offer from UdeM for Class-2018 Med-P, after having been placed on the waiting list for more than a month. So I'm quite excited and a bit nervous for what is ahead. I have some questions for whose who have been through the process...

1. Along with the admission letter there is the course list. I know Medicine is very demanding, but by simply looking at the classes for the next two semesters, I feel that the course load is quite formidable. In my CEGEP, we took on average around 6 subjects per semester, and it seems that for the Med-P winter session, there are 9 classes, and they all seem to be very essential and foundational to medical training. I wonder whether and how we can handle them, what the best approach might be to get good grades.

2. I'm from a regular public English CEGEP, neither English nor French is my first language. I know from the McGill MMI Interview, there is the French language requirement if we want to eventually practice in Quebec. But how about the English requirements for the 3 French medical schools? If all text books and class instructions are in French, how can we learn all the English terms for medicine, and later on how can we communicate/interact with English patients?

3. What is the learning atmosphere at UdeM Medicine? After almost having lost hope for Med-P and starting to focus on getting a good GPA for a Bachelor Science degree to try 3 years later, I wonder whether GPA still plays a big role in the 5 year process?

4. I always hear about the Match before we start Residency, how is each of the MD graduate assigned to his/her desired specialty area? Is it more determined by GPA or any other factors?

Thank you all, and really looking forward to meeting my class in the fall.

You will succeed like all the other students in your shoes. You will be able to handle this workload and it only gets tougher in the years ahead. Don't worry, you will find your own way through the maze. And by the time you graduate with a M.D. you will become bilingual! Matching for residency is years away,but have an open mind during med school, do not set your heart on one field, rather select those fields where you consider you would be happy working, as I did, and let the chips fall where they may. It5 is not about grades, rather they want someone who will be a good fit, is easy to get along with and a hard worker.

Archived