Premed 101 Forums

Bad on prerequisites

Cguy

I did really bad on a lot of the prerequisites for USDO schools (like C-, C, C+, W), and I was wondering what I can do to them to improve it because some schools do not even take grades lower than C. I heard you can take upper level courses to replace them, is that true? Also, do USDO schools look at cGPA or just the prerequisites grades. Would they also look at if I took a full course load or not? 

1 hour ago, Cguy said:

I did really bad on a lot of the prerequisites for USDO schools (like C-, C, C+, W), and I was wondering what I can do to them to improve it because some schools do not even take grades lower than C. I heard you can take upper level courses to replace them, is that true? Also, do USDO schools look at cGPA or just the prerequisites grades. Would they also look at if I took a full course load or not? 

While I'm sure someone here probably knows, it might be more helpful to visit the Student Doctor Network, specifically the Pre-Medical DO forum.

On 8/29/2018 at 9:38 PM, Cguy said:

USDO look at cGPA. Depending on the school they will look at how you performed on your prereqs. I don't believe they put too much emphasis on them though as long as they're above a C. Many like to see how you performed in advanced science courses. Often, having a strong MCAT will offset this deficit. As long as you have a C or above you're fine, provided you have a relatively strong GPA (for USDO a 3.7 would be strong). Regarding the one's which are below a C, you'd probably just have to redo the course but I would inquire at each specific school before re-enrolling in courses. Hope this helps. A word of caution when going to SDN, people can be overly neurotic and often overestimate what is required vis-a-vis stats. My recommendation is to check out AACOMAS. They publish an excellent document outlining the stats of all applicants and matriculates. Hope this helps. GL 

On 9/3/2018 at 11:18 AM, Neurophilic said:

USDO look at cGPA. Depending on the school they will look at how you performed on your prereqs. I don't believe they put too much emphasis on them though as long as they're above a C. Many like to see how you performed in advanced science courses. Often, having a strong MCAT will offset this deficit. As long as you have a C or above you're fine, provided you have a relatively strong GPA (for USDO a 3.7 would be strong). Regarding the one's which are below a C, you'd probably just have to redo the course but I would inquire at each specific school before re-enrolling in courses. Hope this helps. A word of caution when going to SDN, people can be overly neurotic and often overestimate what is required vis-a-vis stats. My recommendation is to check out AACOMAS. They publish an excellent document outlining the stats of all applicants and matriculates. Hope this helps. GL 

Oh wow, thanks for all the information! Are you in the USDO system? Also what do you think the USDO schools think if I do not take a full course load (4 courses instead of 5 per semester)?

45 minutes ago, Cguy said:

Oh wow, thanks for all the information! Are you in the USDO system? Also what do you think the USDO schools think if I do not take a full course load (4 courses instead of 5 per semester)?

No I'm not in the system. Just an applicant but I've been around for a few years trying to get into med. Regarding the 4 courses instead of 5, I'm not sure if it would matter too much for them considering they all look at cGPA (i.e. all of your coursework over your entire degree). I personally have one year where i took 4 courses instead of 5 and I haven't had any issues. I even interviewed at a USDO already. However, it's probably best to play it safe and take a full course load if possible. My advice is to try and find a bird course within your field of study, otherwise take something that you're extremely interested in. It may take a lot of work but you will excel in it if you're truly interested in it.

Archived