Premed 101 Forums

Applying to Medical School?

laerjn

In your opinion; should I apply my third year or my fourth year in this scenario.

My first year average was 77 percent (3.3 GPA) 

I need to save up money because my financial situation does not allow for me not to work in the summer, especially if I need to pay for applications + rent + life necessities. 

I barely have any EC's if any. 

To apply third year I would have to take the MCAT this summer; and have a really good GPA. Should I wait it out; see how well I do my second year, and if I do well then I do the MCAT? But then how would I go about my EC's. On top of work and school I barely have time to breathe. Should I try to apply my fourth year and do the MCAT the summer of my third year instead; and in that way I can dedicate my third year to building my EC's. Advice would be really appreciated. I am already 20 and second year; so I am a year behind as I took a gap year because my mother needed me to care for her (it's a long story- but we wont get into that.) Please I feel so lost and depressed and stressed, I have ALWAYS wanted to be a doctor. Ever since I could remember, I know that doesn't mean much; as most would say the same but this has always been my dream and the whole process is so confusing and stressful; I will give my life to who ever can help me out; thank you so much. 

Getting into Medicine is a marathon for many people with multiple application cycles.  You still have a long way to go and lots of runway to get there.   

I don't think you will be able to prop up your 1st year GPA sufficiently to be able to apply as a 3rd year.   Focus on working hard in year 2 & 3 to bring your GPA up.  Some schools weighting formulas can nullify the poor mark(s) in 1st year.

You can still choose to write MCAT after 2nd year if you are confident, but it is not necessary to do so.  You may want to do some study and practice tests in the spring to benchmark where you are.  If you benchmark well, then write late summer.  If not, wait until the next year and work out a serious study plan.

1 hour ago, Meridian said:

Getting into Medicine is a marathon for many people with multiple application cycles.  You still have a long way to go and lots of runway to get there.   

I don't think you will be able to prop up your 1st year GPA sufficiently to be able to apply as a 3rd year.   Focus on working hard in year 2 & 3 to bring your GPA up.  Some schools weighting formulas can nullify the poor mark(s) in 1st year.

You can still choose to write MCAT after 2nd year if you are confident, but it is not necessary to do so.  You may want to do some study and practice tests in the spring to benchmark where you are.  If you benchmark well, then write late summer.  If not, wait until the next year and work out a serious study plan.

My average is because of one course; without that one course it’s a 3.7; does that kind of make a difference? Or it doesn’t matter? I’m just considered if I apply fourth year then that means I won’t be in school for one year correct? 

1 hour ago, nxmz said:

My average is because of one course; without that one course it’s a 3.7; does that kind of make a difference? Or it doesn’t matter? I’m just considered if I apply fourth year then that means I won’t be in school for one year correct? 

3.7 is still well below average. Aim for above 3.9 for the next three years, that will go a long way for many schools. Also go fulltime to take advantage of Toronto's weighted GPA. Some schools like queens only looks at last two years. If you apply in 4th year you will only have 1-3rd year available.

12 hours ago, nxmz said:

When people state they are applying as a 3rd year they mean they are applying while in their 3rd year of undergrad and if successful would leave their undergrad early after only 3 years and go straight to medical school.   A 4th year applicant applies during 4th year and would go to medical after completing their undergrad.   No year off involved.

Some schools use weighting.  Toronto as example, if you apply as a 4th year and have taken a full course-load will let you drop 3 full credits from GPA.  This remove those few low marks and increases your GPA substantially.  Other schools like Queens (and Western) will look at your last 2 (or best 2) years which lets you drop off that lower first year.

Work hard in year 2 and 3 and get +3.9 each year and you are good to apply during your 4th year.

Archived