Premed 101 Forums

Diversity vs Depth of Altruistic Experiences

My EC's are heavy on the research side and less diverse in community volunteering experience. 

I have one valuable experience in community service that I'm going to continue for another 2 years. 

Will I be in a worse position If I invest in one altruistic experience as opposed to investing in many different experiences?

(I know that the latter is obviously better if done long term but I'm not an exceptional student so I'll be spread thin and I need to invest a lot of time into studying) 

It's hard to know for sure, I am not an adcom so take what I say with a grain of salt. 

The American medical school system stresses conformity by saying you should do hospital oriented things and research. I would suggest that many times, Canadian schools do the opposite. They think that those activities are all well and fine, but don't show who you are. If you are gunning for UBC in particular, you might want to do some soul searching to think about the things that make you different than other candidates and focus on that. For example, if you're a runner, you might think about training for a half marathon to put on your app, or start a running club. If you're interested in drawing, you might try that and submit some to your school paper. The things that make you shine are a bit different, and things that you love. 

All this to say that you can't be everything all at once. If you're doing community volunteering, think about how you might get into leadership, etc. 

At the end of the day we don't know how scoring works, or even if more is always better. But the focus should be on who you are, not what you think you should be. Within reason of course; slothing isn't getting anyone into med school!

Archived