Premed 101 Forums

Importance of GPA

Hey everyone,

I was just hoping for some further insight on this topic, partly because I'm not fully aware and partly to calm my nerves. With PT admissions for 2019 almost due (working through my admissions right now), I'm getting really stressed out over my sGPA. I feel as if it could be competitive but its definitely on the low side at 3.75-3.78 (depending on final calculations). 

Just how important is GPA to the entire process and does anyone else have similar concerns? What are your thoughts and plans going forward?

sGPA cut-off is typically the first step / barrier to getting your application reviewed. If an application does not meet the school's specific cut-off, it usually does not go into the review process. What schools are you planning to apply to? Off the top of my head I believe you can apply to McMaster and Queen's with your sGPA.

3 hours ago, Rehab4Life said:

sGPA cut-off is typically the first step / barrier to getting your application reviewed. If an application does not meet the school's specific cut-off, it usually does not go into the review process. What schools are you planning to apply to? Off the top of my head I believe you can apply to McMaster and Queen's with your sGPA.

I will be applying to UofT, Queen's, and Western. Unfortunately recent prerequisite changes prevent me from applying to McMaster this year. I am just concerned with my sGPA being on the lower side at this point in time, with a lot of nervousness. 

Thank you for the response though. 

I got into Queens last year with a 3.71 so it's definitely possible to get accepted with a lower GPA (as long as it's above the cutoff, which I believe was a 3.70 last year for Queens). That being said, I knew I had a lower GPA while applying, so I spent a ton of time on the written part of my application and had a decent amount of volunteer experience as well. I believe that at least at Queens, once you meet the GPA cutoff its less about your marks and more about your experiences/personal statement and references.

Also, both Western and UofT are adding in the CASPer test to their application this year which will likely lower their cutoffs at least a bit so you might still have a shot at those schools too!

Archived