Premed 101 Forums

Dental Anesthesiology as a specialty

Looking to get any input on dental anesthesiology as a specialty in Canada. I'm interested in getting an idea about both the admissions process and requirements as well as, and probably more importantly, the career prospects for dental anesthesiologists in Canada (specifically Ontario - preferably Toronto). Not sure if this is relevant, but I am a current D2 from Toronto studying in the US.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

In Toronto you’d be mostly getting referrals for healthy smiles kids at 30 cents on the dollar.  I wouldn’t recommend it.

It could be very lucrative in other parts of the country.  When I was doing work in Northern Ontario we sent kids to a paeds office in Winnipeg for GA.  Each case worked out to be $2-4K and probably they did a handful each day.  

13 hours ago, Ostracized said:

In Toronto you’d be mostly getting referrals for healthy smiles kids at 30 cents on the dollar.  I wouldn’t recommend it.

It could be very lucrative in other parts of the country.  When I was doing work in Northern Ontario we sent kids to a paeds office in Winnipeg for GA.  Each case worked out to be $2-4K and probably they did a handful each day.  

Interesting. Do you know if the anesthesiologist was a dental anesthesiologist or an MD? 

Archived