Premed 101 Forums

Dental School Fees Across Canada

Hi everyone. I know tuition is costly for dental school, but I'm curious to know how the schools in Canada rank in terms of who's the cheapest and who's the most pricey. I know Toronto, Western and UBC are pretty high up there, but I was recently looking into McGill and noticed how much lower their's is (granted it's in Quebec), and I saw that Alberta's is pretty low in comparison as well. 

I was just wondering if there's anybody out there that's currently in dental school or has more insight into the school's across Canada and how they compare in terms of fees. I know there's a lot of info on their respective sites, but there's still more I'd like to know. Like, for example, I could only seem to find Toronto's approximate expenses online for their first year, but not the entire program, so it would be nice to know if anyone has insight on their following years.

Would also like to know if any of you think that tuition is a good enough reason to pick one school over another (if you're lucky enough to have the option of multiple schools). Just wanna get some other opinions on it :) 

I don't know what the rankings are for school fees... But, in the long run when you are making a living as a dentist, the couple thousand dollars for school fees won't matter (and shouldn't). If your dream is to get into dental school, then you should increase your chances and apply to all that you are eligible for. Banks are pretty generous with their LOC and Canadian Student Loans can help pay a portion too. 

You should keep in mind your living expenses and other expenses that you will incur throughout dental school too. I think most, if not all schools' the tuition is the same every year, give or take what you need to buy for equipment and textbooks. 

I would pick where I would be the happiest in terms of living (do I want to start a new life in a new city? Do I want to stay where I did my undergrad? Etc.) and not use tuition as a factor anymore, now being in dental school and just knowing that everything costs money... The sooner you make peace that everything costs money (a shitton), the happier you'll be 

the fee differences are pretty much negligible for Canadian schools, but for the states the difference can be huge. I would say to not use tuition as a deciding factor for Canadian schools. I would base it more off of the school curriculum/clinical experience that you get (last time i checked mcgill still makes you learn reproduction as a dentist lol). Some schools start year 1 with clinical whereas other ones you won't even touch teeth until second or third year. I for one cant imagine doing a full year of sciences without being in clinic and actually doing dentistry. Lifestyle and city choices are really important too like throwaway said. 

I'm pretty sure McGill has the lowest tuition fees out of any school in North America. At the end, there are a lot of factors that go into deciding what school to choose. Tuition is just one aspect but ultimately this is an investment into your future. Other aspects that you have to also consider is procedures that the school lets you perform (example: place implants and restore them, perio surgery on the floor, etc) or requirements the school has to graduate. Just food for thought :)

Archived