Premed 101 Forums

Clinical Pharmacist - Chances?

Hi everyone,

I am a 25 year old pharmacist working in Ontario and I am unsatisfied with my career. I did 2 years of undergrad, 4 years of pharmacy school, 1 year of hospital pharmacy residency, and I have been working full-time as a hospital pharmacist for about 6 months now. 

I have been entertaining the idea of applying for med school, but I am hesitant to give it a shot because I don't think my GPA is competitive enough.

GPA for McMaster/Queens (cGPA): 3.77
GPA for UofT (wGPA): 3.83
GPA for Western (best 2 years): 3.97

The reason that my GPA varies so much is because although my marks were quite good in undergrad, they dropped quite a bit in pharmacy school (it was much harder to get good grades in pharmacy). 

I know that McMaster will give a Graduate degree bonus (1% Master's/4% PhD). Would having a PharmD qualify for this bonus?

What do you guys think? Should I try taking the MCAT and give it shot or just forget about it because the chances are so low?

9 hours ago, lostmyway said:

Hi everyone,

I am a 25 year old pharmacist working in Ontario and I am unsatisfied with my career. I did 2 years of undergrad, 4 years of pharmacy school, 1 year of hospital pharmacy residency, and I have been working full-time as a hospital pharmacist for about 6 months now. 

I have been entertaining the idea of applying for med school, but I am hesitant to give it a shot because I don't think my GPA is competitive enough.

GPA for McMaster/Queens (cGPA): 3.77
GPA for UofT (wGPA): 3.83
GPA for Western (best 2 years): 3.97

The reason that my GPA varies so much is because although my marks were quite good in undergrad, they dropped quite a bit in pharmacy school (it was much harder to get good grades in pharmacy). 

I know that McMaster will give a Graduate degree bonus (1% Master's/4% PhD). Would having a PharmD qualify for this bonus?

What do you guys think? Should I try taking the MCAT and give it shot or just forget about it because the chances are so low?

You know I was in your position 4 years ago. I am a community pharmacist and worked for two years before deciding to go to medical school when I was 25 as well! 

I felt the same way as you do. I was already getting bored with pharmacy and was getting frustrated with the lack of opportunities for growth, learning, etc. In my mind, I knew if I didn't at least try to get into medical school, I would regret it. I ended up going through a nontraditional path as an IMG and fortunately am one of the lucky ones coming home this summer for residency.

The way I look at it is, what is the harm in taking the MCAT? Work hard at it and destroy the exam. Expand your search and apply broadly - across Canada and seriously consider the US. You never know what may happen.

My knowledge on the acceptance criteria is dated at this point. On quick glance it looks like you'd have a good chance as any other at Western. I'd imagine your ECs would be pretty strong as well given your background. Have you done much research? (probably during residency?). Your best bet is to e-mail Mac to see whether your PharmD counts for the bonus. 

Your MCAT score will give us a better idea of where you stand. If your score is high enough, you have a shot at Western, Queen's, and McMaster (if CARS is good). Your GPA is a bit low for Toronto. What is your GPA for Ottawa? I would go for it! You have all the ingredients, save the MCAT. And in the meantime, you have a high-paying job. I sure wish I had that option while waiting for a medical school acceptance :) 

Archived