Premed 101 Forums

Another OOP question (sorry)

I graduated from Dalhousie with my Nursing degree and absolutely loved that school so much. I would have stayed in NS but moved back home because I was offered a job at the Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto and it was really hard to turn down that offer. Anyway, I’ve grown a ton as a nurse and even decided that I wanted to go to medical school earlier this year. It would be amazing to go back to Dal. However, I’m obviously not in province. I genuinely feel a strong connection to the Maritimes; while I went to high school in Ontario (mostly grew up here) I have the majority of my family in Nova Scotia and visit quite frequently. I’m wondering if it would be worth it to move to become IP or if I have a chance as an out of province applicant? My final 2 year gpa is 3.95 and I’m writing my MCAT this summer (before the cut off). I have a lot of neonatal ICU nursing experience, was a peer mentor at various points throughout undergrad, and have been trying really hard to gain volunteer experience within my community all year. Given that I never really planned on going into medicine, I don’t really have any research experience but I will most definitely consider it for the following application cycle (because I’m willing to apply like 5 times if I have to lol).

thank you :)

For OOP 600~ applicants they choose 60 based on the 250 word maritime connections essay (as long as you meet requirements with your GPA and likely MCAT score 125+ you should be fine), it's all based on how well you word your connection essay but definitely doable! 

18 minutes ago, samc5 said:

For OOP 600~ applicants they choose 60 based on the 250 word maritime connections essay (as long as you meet requirements with your GPA and likely MCAT score 125+ you should be fine), it's all based on how well you word your connection essay but definitely doable! 

Okay thank you! This gives me hope haha

1 hour ago, Chels1267 said:

I'd aim for higher than a 125 on each section of the MCAT (the OOP pool is pretty competitive) but I think your GPA is definitely competitive enough to apply. It seems like you can probably nail the Maritime connection essay.

Okay thank you so much for your response! I’m currently studying my butt off for the MCAT, it’s been a couple of years since I’ve been out of school and I’ve never taken Physics so I started studying pretty early (November-ish). 

1 hour ago, kelau said:

Okay thank you so much for your response! I’m currently studying my butt off for the MCAT, it’s been a couple of years since I’ve been out of school and I’ve never taken Physics so I started studying pretty early (November-ish). 

Only thing I'd question, because I don't know anything about Nursing student's schedules, is if you had the equivalent of a full course load each semester?

4 minutes ago, Chels1267 said:

Only thing I'd question, because I don't know anything about Nursing student's schedules, is if you had the equivalent of a full course load each semester?

Yeah, it was 10 courses per year for those last two years and it was all letter graded (no pass fail courses during the academic year, only a few during summer semesters) :)

Archived