Premed 101 Forums

Application Timelines

Hi all,

I'm a third year undergrad and sort of new to the whole med application process. I was hoping you guys who might have more experience could enlighten me about American med school timelines. I'm writing my MCAT this summer in early August and would get scores back early September. Is this too late to send American med school applications? I know that most students send their American applications in July, and interviews begin in September, but would submitting in early September put me at a significant disadvantage to land an interview? 

Also I heard that American schools do not like when you apply multiple times (unlike Canadian schools). Is this true? If so, I'd rather wait until after completing my undergrad and apply as early as possible next year for the best shot.

Thanks in advance!

• 3 weeks later...

Too late - most likely, yes. It will put you at a significant disadvantage if your plan is to matriculate into American med school without having a gap year. 

True for your second point - some schools (ie. Harvard, Einstein) won't permit you to apply more than twice. Generally a reapplicant is frowned upon if not accompanied with significant improvement to the application. 

• 5 weeks later...