Premed 101 Forums

Where to go from here?

I am going into my third year of undergrad and my first year GPA was horrible. I just calculated my Year 2 GPA through the OSMAS scale and it's better than my first year but still not near med school material. 

Year 1: my GPA (on the osmas scale) was 3.15

Year 2: 3.44

At this point, I'm considering doing a second undergrad; or a fifth year. I am trying but clearly it is not hard enough; I did have some challenging courses that brought me down. I hear that third year should be a lot easier because we're done with all the required 'weed out' courses, but now I am just panicking because these marks are going to get me nowhere in life. I really am going to try to further improve and continue the upward trend but I was just wondering if anyone knows anyone who has been in a similar scenario, or have been in this scenario themselves, and found a way to conquer it. Is a second undergrad a good idea? I am considering the states but I also feel like I need better financing for that. I wanted to take the MCAT this summer but now I feel like my priority should be my GPA because no matter how good my MCAT is; this GPA won't suffice. 

Any advice would be appreciated; thank you so much. 

Hey! Schools like western and queens for an example look at 2 years worth of marks. You still have 3rd and 4th left to go - do super well in those! Plan your courses out! Be informed! 

After your 3rd year you can decide if you want to take a 5th year or do 2nd undergrad like you were mentioning or maybe even plan for a  masters before med. The world is your oyster dude. 

You should check if med schools take summer courses into account, every school is different. 

Also so don’t feel discouraged, keep working hard, you got this! 

On 4/26/2019 at 1:39 AM, Fentist said:

Hey! Schools like western and queens for an example look at 2 years worth of marks. You still have 3rd and 4th left to go - do super well in those! Plan your courses out! Be informed! 

After your 3rd year you can decide if you want to take a 5th year or do 2nd undergrad like you were mentioning or maybe even plan for a  masters before med. The world is your oyster dude. 

You should check if med schools take summer courses into account, every school is different. 

Also so don’t feel discouraged, keep working hard, you got this! 

Thank you so much for this; I really appreciate it!