Premed 101 Forums

Why study pharmacy?

Hey everyone!

I applied to pharm school as a backup plan, in case I don't get into dental school this year. I got into pharmacy, but still haven't heard from dentistry yet. 

Now that I got in (I fully didn't think I would), I'm asking myself "why not pharmacy?", but I still haven't found an answer to my question. So, I would really appreciate it if you guys could tell me what motivates you to become pharmacists, rather than dentists (or doctors!). What interests you about the profession and why can't you see yourself doing anything else (like it is the case for me and dentistry). If I don't get into dental school this year, I'll accept my pharm school offer and go in with an open-mind. After all, it's science, so maybe I'll love it and won't want to switch to dmd after anymore :)

But yeah, was wondering why do people want to become pharmacists. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't ever think about choosing pharmacy over dentsitry... I used to be pharmacist for few years and now am in medschool. Pharmacy is a terrrible field, so many students use it as a plan b, and once they have the opportunity to switch to DMD or MD they do. If you wanna treat clients instead of patients, if you wanna focus on customer service instead of diagnosis and treatment, if you want be asked several time a day where can i find the WC and the chocolat bar, than go into pharmacy. IF NOT, DMD :)

On 5/3/2019 at 10:32 PM, meddent2018 said:

Hey everyone!

I applied to pharm school as a backup plan, in case I don't get into dental school this year. I got into pharmacy, but still haven't heard from dentistry yet. 

Now that I got in (I fully didn't think I would), I'm asking myself "why not pharmacy?", but I still haven't found an answer to my question. So, I would really appreciate it if you guys could tell me what motivates you to become pharmacists, rather than dentists (or doctors!). What interests you about the profession and why can't you see yourself doing anything else (like it is the case for me and dentistry). If I don't get into dental school this year, I'll accept my pharm school offer and go in with an open-mind. After all, it's science, so maybe I'll love it and won't want to switch to dmd after anymore :)

But yeah, was wondering why do people want to become pharmacists. Thanks.

What school?

On 5/12/2019 at 2:48 PM, Ab Ahmad said:

Don't ever think about choosing pharmacy over dentsitry... I used to be pharmacist for few years and now am in medschool. Pharmacy is a terrrible field, so many students use it as a plan b, and once they have the opportunity to switch to DMD or MD they do. If you wanna treat clients instead of patients, if you wanna focus on customer service instead of diagnosis and treatment, if you want be asked several time a day where can i find the WC and the chocolat bar, than go into pharmacy. IF NOT, DMD :)

You can't even spell "chocolate" right, get outta here, LOL