Premed 101 Forums

3rd time applying

DrNan

Hi, 

I have applied to McGill medicine twice and got refused twice post MMI. First year my ranking was 150 but my pre req science of 3.1 brought me to 196. This year's ranking is not out so i cant tell how i actually did. But i am wondering for people who reapplied and got in what did you guys do differently the year you got in? I feel like I was myself this year compared to the last and I cant tell where i actually went wrong during interview. What are they exactly looking for? i know i struggle with organizing thoughts but in the moment its so hard to do that esp within the 7 minute time frame.

Also, to increase my chances i am thinking of applying to UdeM med however, would have to write TFI since i went to english high school. i have heard it is an extremely tough exam and even the french speaking people fail it... if anyone can give me feedback regarding how the TFI is personally and the MEM compared to McGill that would be great!!

Thank you

48 minutes ago, DrNan said:

Hi, 

I have applied to McGill medicine twice and got refused twice post MMI. First year my ranking was 150 but my pre req science of 3.1 brought me to 196. This year's ranking is not out so i cant tell how i actually did. But i am wondering for people who reapplied and got in what did you guys do differently the year you got in? I feel like I was myself this year compared to the last and I cant tell where i actually went wrong during interview. What are they exactly looking for? i know i struggle with organizing thoughts but in the moment its so hard to do that esp within the 7 minute time frame.

Also, to increase my chances i am thinking of applying to UdeM med however, would have to write TFI since i went to english high school. i have heard it is an extremely tough exam and even the french speaking people fail it... if anyone can give me feedback regarding how the TFI is personally and the MEM compared to McGill that would be great!!

Thank you

The TFI is not that hard actually! My French is by no means good but I still got a 950. I’d say it’s more of a “how hard do you concentrate” test, the listening section goes by SO FAST so you really have to concentrate HARD to get what they’re saying.

The MEMs on the other hand... your French game needs to be ON TOP if you want to at least get a 500 imo. I fumbled my way across the stations (1 - my French is not that great, and 2 - I was super stressed during the circuit) and that’s most likely what killed me this year.

10 hours ago, DrNan said:

Hi, 

Thank you

I'm sorry to hear this. But first, did you redo your prereqs this year? I'm asking because I've known people who did very well in interview but their prereq score brought them too low on the rankings to even be on the WL. So maybe you improved a lot! 

I was refused post interview last year, but I got in this year. Main things I changed were mostly just make sure to look at the interviewer in the eyes (it's not something I like to do, so I have to consciously force myself to do it.... and kind of forgot the first time), also give a good handshake when getting in and out, speaking with confidence (and not too fast), and keeping a  good posture. 

The MEM are pretty similar in the French schools, but there are no science/math stations (although they could, it's not something they typically do). There are fewer stations with actors that are replaced with standard interview questions of 2 types. First type is you tell them some life event related to their question and the second type is to give your opinion about a given subject, which may raise a moral conflict, dilemma or ethical concerns. There are also collaboration stations that you perform with an other applicant. The French school tends to go a bit rougher on the applicants during the interview than at McGill. What I mean by rougher is that the interviewer can intentionally be mean or an actor could go super angry at you. So I think that's pretty much it for the French schools!

I wish you good luck and don't hesitate if you have more questions :) 

4 hours ago, Elgar said:

I'm sorry to hear this. But first, did you redo your prereqs this year? I'm asking because I've known people who did very well in interview but their prereq score brought them too low on the rankings to even be on the WL. So maybe you improved a lot! 

I was refused post interview last year, but I got in this year. Main things I changed were mostly just make sure to look at the interviewer in the eyes (it's not something I like to do, so I have to consciously force myself to do it.... and kind of forgot the first time), also give a good handshake when getting in and out, speaking with confidence (and not too fast), and keeping a  good posture. 

The MEM are pretty similar in the French schools, but there are no science/math stations (although they could, it's not something they typically do). There are fewer stations with actors that are replaced with standard interview questions of 2 types. First type is you tell them some life event related to their question and the second type is to give your opinion about a given subject, which may raise a moral conflict, dilemma or ethical concerns. There are also collaboration stations that you perform with an other applicant. The French school tends to go a bit rougher on the applicants during the interview than at McGill. What I mean by rougher is that the interviewer can intentionally be mean or an actor could go super angry at you. So I think that's pretty much it for the French schools!

I wish you good luck and don't hesitate if you have more questions :) 

Yeah I am doing my pre reqs this year to increase my chances. I am really waiting out for the rankings this year to see if it was the actual reqs that brought me down. I know the consensus seem to be reapply 3-4 times before actually getting in but it is so discouraging :( For your last year ranking, did the science reqs bring you up or down, if you don't mind me asking just so I can get an idea regarding how much the science reqs GPA makes a difference. I know someone who was #1 on the prerequisites but her ranking only went up post interview by 5!

Also, for UdeM is it okay if my French is not like fluent, obviously I would learn it more to become functional in it since I have to write TFI as well however, do you know people who applied with just functional French and were able to do the interview? Because McGill seems to be so far away in terms of actually getting in :/ 

For the math stations at McGill, did you practice it? Those are the stations I lack in a lot and am wondering how to improve that.. any suggestions would be great!

Thanks!

14 hours ago, haenurplaza said:

The TFI is not that hard actually! My French is by no means good but I still got a 950. I’d say it’s more of a “how hard do you concentrate” test, the listening section goes by SO FAST so you really have to concentrate HARD to get what they’re saying.

The MEMs on the other hand... your French game needs to be ON TOP if you want to at least get a 500 imo. I fumbled my way across the stations (1 - my French is not that great, and 2 - I was super stressed during the circuit) and that’s most likely what killed me this year.

I'm sorry to hear that, are you going to try again next year? Also, did you apply to McGill this year as well? 

Also, how did you study for the TFI? Classes or just the prep guide provided online? and is there an essay portion to write as well, like a writing part or is it all MCQs? I have heard the listening part questions you just have a minute per each question to write the answers, which sounds brutal. 

And sorry I'm not really familiar with the French schools since I never applied, what is imo? and how many stations does UdeM have? I have heard they don't have as many acting scenarios and more 1-1 with the interviewer like answer them what would you do in this hypothetical situation. 

I was looking at how much MEM counts for and its 50% post interview and the rest is basically just grades whereas, McGill is 80% which makes me think that maybe UdeM might be a bit easier to get in comparatively. Im not sure though...

3 hours ago, DrNan said:

Yeah I am doing my pre reqs this year to increase my chances. I am really waiting out for the rankings this year to see if it was the actual reqs that brought me down. I know the consensus seem to be reapply 3-4 times before actually getting in but it is so discouraging :( For your last year ranking, did the science reqs bring you up or down, if you don't mind me asking just so I can get an idea regarding how much the science reqs GPA makes a difference. I know someone who was #1 on the prerequisites but her ranking only went up post interview by 5!

Also, for UdeM is it okay if my French is not like fluent, obviously I would learn it more to become functional in it since I have to write TFI as well however, do you know people who applied with just functional French and were able to do the interview? Because McGill seems to be so far away in terms of actually getting in :/ 

For the math stations at McGill, did you practice it? Those are the stations I lack in a lot and am wondering how to improve that.. any suggestions would be great!

Thanks!

HI, I'm sorry for you rejections I know how shitty it is, and how hard it is to get up and try again the following year

Reading your posts I think its definitely your prerequisites, 

This is my third interview and third rejection, and this one was hard to swallow for sure, especially finding out I got in top third of those who interviewed this year. All I can say is keep trying and improving and definitely re-do your basic science prerequisites. 

First year Ranked 143 - due to prerequisites got brought down to 186 

Second year ranked 105: due to prerequisites got brought down to 156

This year ranked in top third so around 65-70  I got the following email from admissions 

Unfortunately I’m not able to provide the exact ranking numbers since they are not formatted that way for individuals just yet.  However, I took a brief look at the overall list and I can share that your outcome does look somewhat similar this year (i.e. squarely in the lower third for Basic Sciences, and probably a stronger on the MMI than last year; around the lower of the top third).  As in past years it looks like the average science GPA prerequisite for offer will be around 3.8, with only a very small percentage of offers going to people with a science GPA below 3.5.

I was hoping that if I can improve enough on my interview I won't need to go and re-do all those classes but my science prerequisite gpa is a 3.2 and those who got in with below a 3.5 is exceptional as admissions said and only a small percentage get offers ( even if it counts for 20% because the average is so so high) that therres no way we can make it unless we rank in like top 20 of all that interview, this is hard to do because the difference between candidates is sometimes as little as 0.01 of a point -  if you search those that got in with below that ( one of them was already in dentistry at udem and did a transfer to medicine) - aka exceptional as the person was already in faculty of medicine at UdeM or the other person that got in was an NTP which means their prerequisites didn't count. So as shitty as it sounds you gotta re-do all your prerequisites,  I am taking time off work to do that this year which sucks but its the only way I can re-do them. According to admissions it doesn't matter how well you ranked on your interview, it has to be exceptional for them to offer you admission if you have a prerequisite gpa below 3.5. 

I also wrote TFI I got 80% needed 85 ( you can only write it once per year - once per application cycle) the oral questions are not bad, but the grammer is brutal and yes for essay your grammer counts too, I bought the CD and book they recommend and did those exercises, but my grammer is not supper great so I would recommend some courses to take perhaps to improve on this.

PM me if you want more details

3 hours ago, Cardiolove01 said:

HI, So its definitely your prerequisites, 

This is my third interview and third rejection

First year Ranked 143 - due to prerequisites got brought down to 186

Second year ranked 105: due to prerequisites got brought down to 156

This year ranked in top third so around 65-70  I got the following email from admissions 

Unfortunately I’m not able to provide the exact ranking numbers since they are not formatted that way for individuals just yet.  However, I took a brief look at the overall list and I can share that your outcome does look somewhat similar this year (i.e. squarely in the lower third for Basic Sciences, and probably a stronger on the MMI than last year; around the lower of the top third).  As in past years it looks like the average science GPA prerequisite for offer will be around 3.8, with only a very small percentage of offers going to people with a science GPA below 3.5.

My science prerequisite gpa is a 3.2 and those who got in with below a 3.5 is exceptional as admissions said if you search those that got in with below that ( one of them was already in dentistry at udem and did a transfer to medicine) - aka exceptional as the person was already in faculty of medicine at UdeM. So as shitty as it sounds you gotta re-do all your prerequisites I am taking time off work to do that this year which sucks but its the only way I can re-do them. According to admissions it doesn't matter how well you ranked on your interview, it has to be exceptional for them to offer you admission if you have a prerequisite gpa below 3.5. 

I also wrote TFI I got 80% needed 85 ( you can only write it once per year - once per application cycle) the oral questions are not bad, but the grammer is brutal and yes for essay your grammer counts too, I bought the CD and book they recommend and did those exercises, but my grammer is not supper great so I would recommend some courses to take perhaps to improve on this.

PM me if you want more details

oh wow I think were in the same boat! are you doing option 2 at mcgill? I am doing CHEM 212 and BIO 200 at Mcgill but since BIO 201 is in winter I applied to Concordia as an independent student to take BIO 266 which is equivalent to BIO 201 at Mcgill.  I don't know if I probably ranked as high as you in the MMI cause thats a pretty solid rank you have for this year! What did you do differently compared to other years you applied because clearly you got so much better!! 

Also, I heard you can redo TFI as many times until march! maybe I heard wrong info? but a friend was telling me that someone did TFI 4 times and finally got in! but I'm super nervous about doing TFI considering my basic French skills and then the interview is in French too.... BRR

Thank you for all your info

1 hour ago, DrNan said:

oh wow I think were in the same boat! are you doing option 2 at mcgill? I am doing CHEM 212 and BIO 200 at Mcgill but since BIO 201 is in winter I applied to Concordia as an independent student to take BIO 266 which is equivalent to BIO 201 at Mcgill.  I don't know if I probably ranked as high as you in the MMI cause thats a pretty solid rank you have for this year! What did you do differently compared to other years you applied because clearly you got so much better!! 

Also, I heard you can redo TFI as many times until march! maybe I heard wrong info? but a friend was telling me that someone did TFI 4 times and finally got in! but I'm super nervous about doing TFI considering my basic French skills and then the interview is in French too.... BRR

Thank you for all your info

You can definitely redo the TFI as many times as you want (however beware of the once-per-month limit), and yeah there’s no written component in the TFI. The ENTIRE exam is just multiple choice, and your « score » is not really linear, it’s just like how they calculate your MMI score out of 500 based on how well you did compared to the average. So yeah you definitely can get 860 without actually getting 87% of the questions right (I’m sure I bombed at least 20% of the questions).

Also, review your anglicisms (aka words that make sense in English but not in French (« make sense » =/= « faire du sens » and stuff like that), the grammar part is HEAVILY skewed towards this subject in particular.

4 hours ago, DrNan said:

Thanks!

I don't remember what exact ranks I got last year, but for interview it was somewhere in the lower half, maybe even lower third. However my prereq were average (3.76) so it got me about 10 ranks higher or so.

I think the math stations is a good place to improve because it's probably the most difficult ones in the MMI (less subjective), so if you can get a good grade there, it should pay off (this is only my personal analysis though). I think I did a lot better this year than last year on those stations, though I didn't really practice. I was just more calm, didn't rush my answers and that helped me not to do the stupid mistakes I did last year. So what you'll have to practice to succeed on those stations depends on what were your weaknesses. Identify WHY it's difficult for you and then you can work on it. 

The only person I know who is anglo and made it to a French School was already very fluent (did their whole cegep in French). However, it's worth the try and your French lessons won't have been in vain even if you get in McGill because you'll still have to deal with French patients ;)  Also I don't know much of their process of admission, but maybe you should consider uOttawa as well? 

10 hours ago, doodobro said:

I apologize for sidetracking a little bit, but I'm just curious how you guys know about your ranking? Did you call/email the admissions and ask for it? Will they share this information if I am still on the waitlist?

Hi I called today, They said ranking will come end June as they're doing pre meds right now!

and I'm not sure about waitlisted people tbh since ive never been in that position!