Premed 101 Forums

Second Undergrad to fix GPA?

I took 19 (57 credits) undergrad courses to complete my prerequisites and upgrade my GPA. The whole time, I mostly had UBC in mind because they only look at your 5 prerequisites and 10 last upper-level courses. So i really catered my application to exactly what they were looking at. By a secondary function, I tried to apply to all the schools out east, but I ran into a lot of road blocks because they refused to accept any BC college credits, despite them being directly transferable to all BC universities. I truly found that there's so many little caveats that can basically exclude your post degree upgrades when applying to different schools, for instance, Mcgil won't even look at any post degree credits and Mcmaster and U of T have a blanket policy of no college credits, even for prerequisites. For this reason, a second degree definitely would have given me a better shot at a lot more schools and often schools will let you carry over up to 60 (2 years) credits form your first degree when doing a second degree, so it would have taken my around the same amount of time.

I eventually got accepted to UBC and a few schools in the UK. But it was not without a ton of hard work on my application and interviews. My GPA was still fringe, but had I done another degree it would not have been.

I would say if your GPA is NOT severely damaged like mine was (2.78/4.33), then upgrading courses at a University is the route to go. Otherwise it could be a long a fruitless effort. In which case take 2 more years to get a second degree could also be worth it. Also, you could potentially get a Master's degree - but some schools, like Queens told me that because Master's degrees tend to have inflated GPAs they don't like to consider them as much, whatever that means.