Premed 101 Forums

Only 20% of doctors in BC are netting over 300k per year?

member_225

Hello everyone, 

I had some free time and I came across the public salary disclosure for doctors in BC: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/health/practitioner-pro/medical-services-plan/blue-book-2017-18.pdf

I selected 3 random pages and counted the numbers of physicians who billed more than 400k last year and it came out to 151 out of 684. That's roughly 22%. Assuming a very conservative overhead rate of 20% across all specialties (very likely that it's more than 20% average but let's be conservative), that means only 20% of doctors in BC are netting (pre-tax) over 300k? Am I missing something here? 

6 hours ago, member_225 said:

Hello everyone, 

I had some free time and I came across the public salary disclosure for doctors in BC: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/health/practitioner-pro/medical-services-plan/blue-book-2017-18.pdf

I selected 3 random pages and counted the numbers of physicians who billed more than 400k last year and it came out to 151 out of 684. That's roughly 22%. Assuming a very conservative overhead rate of 20% across all specialties (very likely that it's more than 20% average but let's be conservative), that means only 20% of doctors in BC are netting (pre-tax) over 300k? Am I missing something here? 

You probably aren't for the most part. With that being said, the BC Blue book reports  anyone who still is registered and billing something. Essentially, a lot of people are working part time or are older and winding down their practices. That will include the 60+ crowd who are now working part time and the physicians who would rather work 20-40 hours a week. 

A few may have billings that aren't reported in the BC blue book for some reason. For example, the thoracic and neurosurgeon's billings are not reported for some reason, I'm sure there are other cases there as well. 

If you look solely at physicians working at least 40 hours a week and removed the physicians who have billings that aren't showing up you'll probably have something higher, but its true, physician salaries are likely overestimated. Word on the street only reports the physicians who have exceptional billings. The crazy high billings spread further and faster.