Premed 101 Forums

Is applying even worth it?

Hi!

So I was wondering if you guys could help me. I'm potentially sorry for my english as I'm a french speaker !!

I'm 20 & I graduated cégep with a R score of 28 in human sciences; honestly it wasn't my thing but most importantly I had a LOT of heath issues and had to take a year off after completing it. During that year off, I volunteered in a hospital months and I realized my interest truly lies in health care. I really wish to be able to be able to enter in medicine so I'm currently completing my science formation in Udem. I have no idea why I didn't take Pure and Applied Sciences in cégep since I've always had better grades in scientific courses but oh well. So now I want to know is it possible to enter medicine if I have excellent grades in all my university courses or will I have to do a degree in related program ? If so, can I just do one year in that program before applying again or is it better to complete the degree? Would you advice also taking STT1903 and MAT1905 even tho they aren't required just to have more credits? 

I also heard having great extra curricular activities on your record helps, I have almost a year of volunteering and a recommandation letter from the hospital so I was wondering if doing more would be good? 

Thank you very much ! 

Edited by daseki

On 9/6/2019 at 4:09 PM, daseki said:

Hi!

So I was wondering if you guys could help me. I'm potentially sorry for my english as I'm a french speaker !!

I'm 20 & I graduated cégep with a R score of 28 in human sciences; honestly it wasn't my thing but most importantly I had a LOT of heath issues and had to take a year off after completing it. During that year off, I volunteered in a hospital months and I realized my interest truly lies in health care. I really wish to be able to be able to enter in medicine so I'm currently completing my science formation in Udem. I have no idea why I didn't take Pure and Applied Sciences in cégep since I've always had better grades in scientific courses but oh well. So now I want to know is it possible to enter medicine if I have excellent grades in all my university courses or will I have to do a degree in related program ? If so, can I just do one year in that program before applying again or is it better to complete the degree? Would you advice also taking STT1903 and MAT1905 even tho they aren't required just to have more credits? 

I also heard having great extra curricular activities on your record helps, I have almost a year of volunteering and a recommandation letter from the hospital so I was wondering if doing more would be good? 

Thank you very much ! 

Udem doesn't even care about your extracurriculars, they just care about 1 - your grades and 2 - how well you perform in the interview (and 3 - CA$Per). I'm sorry to say this but it's better to take this year off to boost your grades, given the average R score of everyone who applied was about a 34-ish for university candidates and the absolute minimum to have an interview is a 32.

Extra curriculars will help a ton if you are willing to apply to McGill or any other Canadian faculty. In reality if medecine is your one and only goal you can do a bachelors degree, get those grades up,even take the MCAT and have the entire country at your finger tips (They won't look at your Cegep I don't think outside of QC) so there are options available to you.
Bonus, the admission process is a whole lot more holistic, pretty much anywhere else. The 3 french faculties are just about the worst schools to apply to with mediocre grades as this is all they base their invites to interview on. 

It is not worth applying now, as you probably won't make it past the 1st screening... keep working on those grades, familiarize yourself with all the different prerequisite of each school (For example with UDEM you need to have less than 12 University credits, or complete an entire bachelor, nothing in between) and remember that time will pass whether you do it or not. Good luck 

1 minute ago, Frederick Sanger said:

While  McGill values extracurricular activities, it is weighted as only 10% with the reaming 90% coming from GPA and CASPer. So, despite this consideration they give to the CV, the grades still matter significantly. 

Yes you're right. I guess what I mean is that if one is going to apply somewhere where ECs are going to be evaluated, then by all means start working on them now. It might be 10% of the evaluation, but every other person applying with better ECs than you has a leg up on the process in that case. 

On 9/9/2019 at 1:41 AM, AKtoQC said:

Yes you're right. I guess what I mean is that if one is going to apply somewhere where ECs are going to be evaluated, then by all means start working on them now. It might be 10% of the evaluation, but every other person applying with better ECs than you has a leg up on the process in that case. 

That's true. I actually applied to McGill (and rejected pre-interview) with a 200-ish academic rank, 190-ish CASPer but then because of my CV I didn't get an interview (Med-P)...