Premed 101 Forums

FHO Roster Sizes

Was always curious as to why FHO roster sizes are typically 1000-1400 patients in the GTA region.  Is this because of difficulty in managing a larger roster?  Or is it due to too many patients going to walk-in clinics? Difficult patients?  I know the FHO reimbursement is reduced if patients use walk-in clinics.  Why aren't rosters larger considering the obviously higher payout?  Is it due to saturation in the GTA?  How difficult is it to build a new roster in the GTA at the moment?

Re: panel size

I imagine there was some input from studies on the ideal panel size. There are a number of methods for calculating ideal panel sizes, but often used is the formula:

Provider visits per day x number of days worked per year / visits per patient per year

The "Visits per patient per year" is often cited as 3.19.

Here's a paper on this:

https://www.aafp.org/fpm/2007/0400/p44.html

Therefore, assuming 25 patients per day x 220 days / 3.19 = 1700+

I agree that seems to be a much different panel size using that calculation! Possibly in an FHO situation, it's assumed the 3.19 number would be higher because patients are "bound" to the provider.