Premed 101 Forums

Deferral question for current/past Qmed students

Hi all, 

I was wondering whether anyone has ever heard of someone being granted a deferral for medical reasons, specifically pregnancy.  On the Queen's website it only mentions deferrals to complete existing degrees but there's no info about medical/extenuating circumstances. I've seen this mentioned on other med school websites and have seen posts of people deferring for pregnancy at other schools but I can't find anything on this for Queen's.  I've been trying to phone them but have not been able to reach a real human (presumably they are all working from home and only answering emails).  I hesitate putting this in an email for fear of them rescinding my offer.  

My second question is what is the actual process for deferral?  It says we have til August 1st so does that mean we go through the motions of accepting officially (deposit and all) and THEN ask for the deferral?  I just want to make sure I don't lose my spot but being pregnant means I will need to defer until next year. 

Any advice you have would be so appreciated!  

11 minutes ago, anon24 said:

Hi all, 

I was wondering whether anyone has ever heard of someone being granted a deferral for medical reasons, specifically pregnancy.  On the Queen's website it only mentions deferrals to complete existing degrees but there's no info about medical/extenuating circumstances. I've seen this mentioned on other med school websites and have seen posts of people deferring for pregnancy at other schools but I can't find anything on this for Queen's.  I've been trying to phone them but have not been able to reach a real human (presumably they are all working from home and only answering emails).  I hesitate putting this in an email for fear of them rescinding my offer.  

My second question is what is the actual process for deferral?  It says we have til August 1st so does that mean we go through the motions of accepting officially (deposit and all) and THEN ask for the deferral?  I just want to make sure I don't lose my spot but being pregnant means I will need to defer until next year. 

Any advice you have would be so appreciated!  

I would email, the worst they can do is say no. They definitely would not rescind your offer.