Premed 101 Forums

Prospective Applicant

Hi, I hope everyone is doing well. This is my first post on here and I am not entirely sure if this is the appropriate place to ask this question so please let me know if there is another forum available that would be more appropriate. I am currently a CEGEP student going into my second year in the fall. I study commerce but this quarantine has made me re-think my options and now I am suddenly considering going into med, specifically at McGill one day. I wanted to ask if anyone else was in a similar position where they made the leap to switch career paths all of a sudden and what advice/tips you would have. I am an average student in CEGEP,  but I think I would want to take my science prerequisites at Concordia through their Science Foundations Certificate and then do my undergraduate studies at McGill and was wondering if anyone did anything similar to this? Since academic advisors are on break right now, I wasn't too sure who to ask. Thank you for any insightful comments and advice, it will be greatly appreciated. 

Welcome to the Forum. :P

Consider and look into the Exercise Science Specialty Program at Concordia which is an excellent prep for medicine. The material is voluminous and although not terribly hard, to obtain high competitive grades, you will need to work very hard to be competitive for med. There is no advantage in selecting a program at MCGill.

also, it is important to broaden your horizons and when the time comes, to apply to ALL Quebec medical schools, as you don’t have a clue when and where lightning will strike. And for UdeM, tick the box for Trois Rivieres being your first choice, notwithstanding that you are from Montreal and would really prefer remaining closer to home. Take this advice seriously in your own best interests! Good luck!

Read every post of the above thread.