Premed 101 Forums

Taking 1st/2nd Year courses in 3rd Year?

Hello,

I am just wondering if this looks bad in regards to applications. For reference, I am taking 2 mandatory ones (first year physics and second year anatomy) and 2 electives (both second year). I am aware that for other professional schools (med, law), some might want 60% of courses to be senior ones. Is this the case for physio too or does it not matter? 

56 minutes ago, westernHS said:

Hello,

I am just wondering if this looks bad in regards to applications. For reference, I am taking 2 mandatory ones (first year physics and second year anatomy) and 2 electives (both second year). I am aware that for other professional schools (med, law), some might want 60% of courses to be senior ones. Is this the case for physio too or does it not matter? 

It depends on the university. For example UBC looks at 300/400 level courses only when calculating competitive GPA (not including pre reqs which can be in any year as long as they are on the list of approved courses). Western looks at last 60 credits starting from the last semester you took. You will take many 300/400 level courses anyways in order to graduate from your bachelors and will probably have 45-60 upper division credits anways. if you have any other questions just let me know!

For example, this is Westerns GPA calculation:

"A calculation of the sub-GPA for admission purposes will be completed based on the final 60 units of university academic study (i.e., the equivalent of 10 full courses or 20 half courses) completed by December 31 of the fall term preceding the application deadline. Summer, part-time, intersession, distance education and undergraduate university courses taken beyond the four-year undergraduate degree are also included. Because the GPA does not include all university undergraduate courses, it is referred to as a sub-GPA.

For applicants currently enrolled in the fourth year of a bachelor's degree program, this calculation starts with the applicant's final fall term grades (completed by December 31) and moves back in chronological order based on the courses listed on the transcript. Where grades must be extracted from a term to achieve the equivalent of 10 full courses, the average of that year (e.g., applicant's second year) will be use"