Premed 101 Forums

Vanier scholarship nominee on application?

I just found out I was one of 10 people at my institutions nominated to apply for the Vanier graduate scholarship, would it be appropriate to put this on my application due to the difficulty of getting nominated or is it inappropriate to put an award for something I haven’t received regardless of how competitive it is? (Normally I wouldn’t put a nomination but others have told me it is something that you can put on your CV given the competitiveness of the scholarship so I wanted second opinions). 

My thoughts on this would be no; at least in the department I did my degree at if you were interested in applying for the award, a nomination was pretty easy to secure and didn’t mean a whole lot; it’s kinda hard to judge the merit of. But that’s just my 2 cents, if you’re short of entries that are academic/research awards it necessarily wouldn’t hurt to include, I just wouldn’t assume it will be super impactful.

Thanks for the info, valid points I didn’t realize the process varied so much at different universities. Also to clarify I did make it to the national nomination ie I am in the final 10 quotes not just nominated by my department to apply (idk if that makes a difference), I was considering adding it and discussing how I am the first person in my lab to make it to the national level and the first from my department to make it to the national level for a CIHR nomination if I have space but as you mentioned it may be tough to judge so I will see if I have anything stronger to put. Thanks for your advice it is greatly appreciated!

The Vanier is a pretty big deal - a nomination much less so than getting it. but still impressive at many institutions. Application sections vary depending on schools. I would not, for example, put it in the ‘awards’ section as only a nomination. But there’s probably several other ways to work it in such that it could score you points, such as including it in description related to your graduate work. For example, for UBC med applications, you could likely include graduate work in your employment as a ‘research assistant’ (since grad students are generally paid a research stipend), and then note you’re nominated for a Vanier.