Premed 101 Forums

2 months of ER in the FM program

RuralDoc

Hi,

Are there any other family medicine residents out there who only have 2 months of ER training during their 2 year residency. This just doesn't seem

like enough time to get anything more than a basic intro. I certainly won't feel qualified to run an ER on my own with this amount of training. I have very few elective months, and they are already booked up. I don't intend to focus on ER in my career. I am just wondering though, how much they expect us to know for the LMCC 2 and more so, the CCFP exam.

• 3 weeks later...

You're correct in assessing that a two month emergency medicine rotation is probably insufficient to give you the skillset to effectively run an ED independently. If you're looking to do so, you can either go through an additional year of training through the CCFP(EM) program, or one must tailor their electives to reinforce their emergency and critical care skills: ICU, CCU, Anaesthesia, Ortho, Plastics, Trauma, etc.

Two months is fairly standard as a family medicine residency program requirement, and for the LMCC 2 and CCFP you'll be just fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived