Premed 101 Forums

Rural Commitment Before Practicing in Montreal?

I believe that it only applies to IMG's (or international students who studied medicine in Quebec and want to stay for residency) who choose to do their residency in Quebec. They must sign some sort of agreement staying they will practing in a rural region for X amount of years before they can leave Quebec or practice in an urban setting.

There's lots of rumors floating around and I can't guarantee that this is correct but it is what I've heard the most.

I've heard previously that before being able to practice in Montreal, graduates must first commit to a certain number of years practicing in a rural Quebec town. I've never been able to find more information about this anywhere. Is there anyone who can clarify this for me?

Thanks.

I've heard previously that before being able to practice in Montreal, graduates must first commit to a certain number of years practicing in a rural Quebec town. I've never been able to find more information about this anywhere. Is there anyone who can clarify this for me?

Thanks.

hi nutritional_lee,

as far as I know, before being able to practice in QC McGill graduates must sit for the French language examination by CMQ or prove that they are proficient in French by subbmitting the required documents:

ATTENTION: In accordance with the article 39 of The Charter of the French Language, since December 31st, 1980, no temporary permit can be issued to a candidate who has obtained a diploma of doctor of medicine from McGill University.

http://www.cmq.org/CmsPages/DHCEU/PageCmsSimpleSplitDHCEU.aspx?PageID=18bdd8d5-1a4d-4765-81f5-66541742092a

there are some restrictions that apply to IMG and to those who complete their residency training in the States.

Last category has two choices for the residency training: either go to the States on J1 visa or on H1B visa. First obliges you to go back to Canada (for any Canadian) for two years after J1 expires.The reason is: before getting J1 Canada must issue the Statement of Need that reserves the right to hire you for 2y when you are back from the States. In this case, you do not chose where you gonna work. As such, many would chose not to go back but apply for the waiver rule, i.e. sign a contract to work in an underserved area in the US for 5y.

On the other hand, H1B visa implies a possibility getting green card and then, in 5 years, American citizenship. There is no need to go back and serve 2 y in Canadian rural areas. As a Canadian med graduate you will have no problem to find a hospital in the States willing to sponsor you (B visa requirement).

McGill university med school is a fully accredited by the American Medical Boards med school and its graduates have every chance to compete for some of the best residencies in the US.

I haven't heard of any grad who would chose 2y commitment in rural Canada over the bright future in the States even if it is about getting another citizenship. Correct me, please.

In QC IMGs are now eligible to compete for any residency spots along with Can Grads and participate in the first itineration of the CArms but often are offered positions only in underserved areas. In addition, yes, they should sign 5y agreement for the rural commitment after all.

To keep recent grads away from urban settings, in addition to the lowest pay in N Am, QC takes 30% off of their salaries if someone decides to work in, say, Montreal. There are also some financial benefits are available if you agree to work in the Northeren part of Qc.

I realise that my info could be inaccurate, please let me know if you find smth wrong. THANKS

To keep recent grads away from the urban areas QC takes 30% off their salaries if some decide to work in, say, Montreal. There are also some financial benefits are available if you agree to work in the Northeren part of Qc.

Thank you, Miss Sunshine and Sergie -- what you've said seems to back up the very limited information I've been able to find online (i.e. nothing in support of any 'restriction' for QC residents, and one small mention of different salaries). I'll ask at my interview to be sure, but I really appreciate your help. :)

Archived