Premed 101 Forums

Who makes a cancer diagnosis ?

I was wondering about this before. I know the different types of oncologists, but I never understood who actually makes the diagnosis... for example for colon cancer or prostate cancer... is it the family doc? then refers to radiation oncologist or medical oncologist for treatment ?

A colonic adenocarcinoma could be seen on colonoscopy or imaging (which may be ordered by the family physician), or even picked up on physical exam if a low-lying rectal cancer by the FP, and called very suspicious for cancer by the gastroenterologist / general surgeon / radiologist.. but the final diagnosis would come from the pathologist's reading of the biopsy. At our cancer centre, a tissue diagnosis is required for referral. Once referred, an interdisciplinary team sees the patient (including rad onc and med onc).

Prostate is usually the urologist gets referee something suspicious by the family doc, he/she evaluates the data and patient, decides to biopsy. Biopsy goes to pathology who reports cancer.

I guess technically from a medical POV it's the pathologist. From a patients point of view it's the urologist.

As for treatment, it usually goes to the surgeon (if applicable), the to med. Onc. (if chemo) and/or rad. Onc. (if rads). Its pretty cancer and patient dependent.

The pathologist is the final word(and oftentimes first word) on cancer diagnosis. That's their primary function. I think they should change their specialty's name to "Diagnostic oncology"

ha, they really should have diagnostic somewhere in their name :)

• 2 months later...

Archived