Premed 101 Forums

GPA acceptance ranges?

That was my dream but then family came. I really wanted children so I gave up that dream. It would be very hard on my family to go after medicine.

Just keep working at it and I am sure you will become a PT if it is really what you want. This is my second time applying and I went from a 3.61 to a 3.74 so I am hoping this round works out at U of A or Queen's!!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Physioprospect
Just keep working at it and I am sure you will become a PT if it is really what you want. This is my second time applying and I went from a 3.61 to a 3.74 so I am hoping this round works out at U of A or Queen's!!

If you are not from Alberta there's no hope.. last year cut off for out if province was 3.91

I agree with what Seeingthelight said...unfortunately there will always be people going into certain programs just for money or social status or whatnot.

Myself, yes I'm applying to OT and I also applied to med school a few times. I graduated with first class standing, never got lower than a B in undergrad, and my ORPAS GPA is roughly 3.6ish so it's frustrating that I can't get into med even though I'm an A- student (crappy MCAT doesn't help either). I'm doing a Masters now which I love, but I know I don't want to work in a lab forever.

The last few years I've done a lot of research about OT and I'm leaning more towards OT now than medicine because I'm 30 yrs old, I'd like to eventually get married and start a family the next few years (med school + residency would make that more difficult than a 2yr OT program), it pays well and I think the working hours will be better than med also. So I don't really like calling OT a "backup" choice because at the end of the day I want to work in healthcare and I want to help people. Period.

Let's assume that there are people who will go into PT/OT just because they couldn't get into med. These people will probably drop out and/or switch careers later on if they hate it so personally I don't think they will stop anyone from getting into the program they really want. If they steal a spot from me, then I will apply again next year, that's all.

Archived