Premed 101 Forums

GPA acceptance ranges?

Anyone hazard to guess the UWO cutoff this year?

Ooo..Judging from the past years:

2009 - 3.61

2010 - 3.68

2011 - 3.73

2012 - ??

If you take the differences between the years, I would guess at a 3.76 ish (after waitlist offers go out as well). I hope its not too high!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 6 months later...

Hi everyone,

I originally wanted to go for Med school but after doing lots and lots of research, volunteering and shadowing etc. I'm second guessing myself due to the intense lifestyle.

My GPA for my last 2 years of undergrad is 3.95 (this is from OMSAS calculation so not sure if it's different for PT)? I feel like that's competitive but I only have about 50 hrs of volunteer experience over one summer (lots of other clinical, volunteer and extracurricular experience too). Anyone know if I need to seriously ramp up PT experience before I apply?

My biggest concern is my masters. I'm at McMaster right now doing a one year course based masters in Global Health. It's a lot of social science based courses where the marking is subjective and it's more difficult to obtain the marks I did in undergrad. Do they count these marks from your masters or does it depend on school etc?

Any help is much appreciated

Just go to med school!

When applying to physio they only look at your undergrad marks. Queen's is the only school that really takes into consideration volunteer experiences. It is not a bad idea to become more familiar with the PT profession through volunteering because it might help you will the cap test at U of T or the MMI at Mac but it is by no means a requirement. Good luck!

"Just go to med school" is easier said than done lol. My first 2 years gpa and crappy mcat are holding me back and I really don't think it's for me.

I love anatomy and want to be involved in healthcare at some level. I think PT is more suitable for me. Thanks for the info on the masters marks. I think I'll try and get more experience in PT this year while at school.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have any information on cut-offs for SLP? There doesn't seem to be much information out there on Canadian schools. I'm hoping to get into U of A, but I haven't a clue what's considered competitive! (I've checked the website and am aware that 3.5 is what they've posted as being competitive, but I'd like to know what kind of qualifications those who actually got into the program have).

It gives you a good chance at McMaster and UofT to get an interview/CAP exam so that you can get in from there. Western is most likely a no, you will definitely be wait-listed and maybe not high enough to be accepted (it all depends). Queen's I can't say because they count cGPA (entire undergraduate) and your subGPA and place a heavy emphasis on volunteering. If your cGPA is over 3.0 (I think? maybe 3.3...) and you have a lot of hours/experience, you should be in a good position there as well.

It gives you a good chance at McMaster and UofT to get an interview/CAP exam so that you can get in from there. Western is most likely a no, you will definitely be wait-listed and maybe not high enough to be accepted (it all depends). Queen's I can't say because they count cGPA (entire undergraduate) and your subGPA and place a heavy emphasis on volunteering. If your cGPA is over 3.0 (I think? maybe 3.3...) and you have a lot of hours/experience, you should be in a good position there as well.

Thanks so much!!! McMaster is my first choice.

Couple questions if you dont mind answering:

1. Is ottawa physio in french?

2. whats subGPA?

3. What do you know about eventually physio being a 3 year Doctorate?

Does anyone know how Queens PT and OT weight SubGPA and CumGPA and what the cutoffs were for 2012?

My CumGPA is better than my sub GPA so I hope they actually look at CumGPA.

(my SubGPA is 3.63 and my CumGPA is 3.71)

From my understanding, Cum and Sub GPA are weighted equally along with the Personal Information Score at Queen's.

Hi!

I'm really interested in applying to PT at UOttawa for next fall, but was just wondering if anyone had any indications on the minimal GPA to be admitted? Also, any info on the interviews and what GPA average they evaluate for admissions would be greatly appreciated!

Hi!

I'm really interested in applying to PT at UOttawa for next fall, but was just wondering if anyone had any indications on the minimal GPA to be admitted? Also, any info on the interviews and what GPA average they evaluate for admissions would be greatly appreciated!

Who cares what the minimal is?

You should care what the competitive is, which has been listed in here many-a-time.:)

They do not post their competitive, but their minimum is a B (so around 3.0). If you have at least that and good experience I think they consider your application, but they really don't give out many details to their program :/. Even if you e-mail them about GPA they refuse to answer, so if you have a 3.0+ I would apply for sure :)

They do not post their competitive, but their minimum is a B (so around 3.0). If you have at least that and good experience I think they consider your application, but they really don't give out many details to their program :/. Even if you e-mail them about GPA they refuse to answer, so if you have a 3.0+ I would apply for sure :)

Thanks! :)

• 2 months later...

Nobody on this site has any better clue than you as to what the GPA cut-offs will be. Get 3.7+ and apply. You can't say it's going up because it did the last 3 years. Obviously some people didn't pay attention in stats class. Sure it trended up; however, nobody on here is on a selection committee and can't say with 100% certainty how people are selected. GPA is "primarily" used, so please stop speculating and worrying and just apply

Nobody on this site has any better clue than you as to what the GPA cut-offs will be. Get 3.7+ and apply. You can't say it's going up because it did the last 3 years. Obviously some people didn't pay attention in stats class. Sure it trended up; however, nobody on here is on a selection committee and can't say with 100% certainty how people are selected. GPA is "primarily" used, so please stop speculating and worrying and just apply

yikes, bite her head off why dont you

yikes, bite her head off why dont you

Im not biting her head off, geez grow a pair. Everybody asks, "do I have a chance", or "what are my chances" and nobody on here knows for certain. People do get in with slightly lower GPA's than what people on here are saying. The schools state primarily GPA based so people like the keeners on this site are not calling or emailing them and driving them crazy. That is directly from an admissions secretary at one of the 4 Ontario programs. They say it has got out of control with people harassing them. Here's a tip, if you want to make sure you don't get in, call and email them about your chances about getting in. Point is, again, you nor I have a clue what goes on in the selection process so why speculate.

• 3 weeks later...
Im not biting her head off, geez grow a pair. Everybody asks, "do I have a chance", or "what are my chances" and nobody on here knows for certain. People do get in with slightly lower GPA's than what people on here are saying. The schools state primarily GPA based so people like the keeners on this site are not calling or emailing them and driving them crazy. That is directly from an admissions secretary at one of the 4 Ontario programs. They say it has got out of control with people harassing them. Here's a tip, if you want to make sure you don't get in, call and email them about your chances about getting in. Point is, again, you nor I have a clue what goes on in the selection process so why speculate.

well good thing im already in and doing first year PT so i dont need any of your tips, and im sure glad I wont be in your class if you get in. You sound harsh

well good thing im already in and doing first year PT so i dont need any of your tips, and im sure glad I wont be in your class if you get in. You sound harsh

I'm just realistic and I don't sugar coat things. Pre-judge if you like but you don't know me and I wouldn't make a comment about your character since I have never met you. You are probably a really nice person and I wish you all the best in PT and congrats on getting in.

I'm agreeing with Tr RMT here. Nobody is biting anyones head off. As they've stated, nobody has a sure way of knowing any averages or whether they will go up or down. If you want specific statistics, ask the school themselves. We really don't have the faintest idea here and things can change. You should only use the statistics on these forums as a guideline. Get as high of a gpa as you can and apply. Apply even if you aren't sure you will get in. If you're WAY off the gpa requirements, this forum could help let you know that and maybe save you some money. If you sit barely below a cut-off there is no reason not to apply. You may still get in.

Archived