Premed 101 Forums

detailed autobiographical sketch and the 4 clusters

Hi,

I have just finished writing about 3 activities which I think best represent my character, however I have not included any information from the 4th cluster. I think I have relatively strong extra-curricular activities, but not any that I was given an award for, or hosted a conference presentations or publications. I have a scholarship for academic standing but it is not something that I have decided to talk about.

Am I still OK for the application, or really all four clusters must be talked upon in the sketch?

Those are the instructions:

Please choose 3 specific items from your detailed autobiographical sketch (ABS), and describe how each item exemplifies one or more of the clusters of characteristics provided in the PDF instructions (above). Ensure that the total range of clusters is represented among the three statements as a whole. Individual statements may speak to a specific cluster or clusters of attributes, activities, and achievements. Each description should be 250 words or less. Please identify which item from the ABS you are describing

And those are the clusters:

1.maturity, reliability, perseverance and responsibility (professional cluster)

2.communication, collaboration, teamwork and leadership (communicator/collaborator/manager cluster);

3.advocacy, community service and social responsibility (advocate cluster)

4.achievements in academic standing, leadership, research and social responsibility as demonstrated by (but not limited to) awards, conference presentations, publications and scholarships (scholar cluster).

Thanks for help in advance!

There's no point forcing out a worse detailed sketch just because you want to mention the Scholar cluster in it. Write the 3 best sketches that you can - and if you can't hit 1 of the clusters, then so be it.

Remember, the 3 detailed sketches and your list of items are evaluated as a group. So you will still get points for the Scholar cluster as they read through your sketch.

A couple of students have suggested that one should include a conclusion int he ABS mini-essays about how the described activity will make them a better physician, or how the experience is relevant to medicine, etc.

However, a staff member at MD Admissions of U of T said to focus on describing aspects of the activity and how they demonstrated the attributes/clusters, and avoid going on a tangent about the relevance of the activity to medicine.

Thoughts?? With the limited character count, and the specific directions given, I am going with the advice of the staff member.

Thanks, MedHopeful. I purchased your guide, and I am "on the fence" about utilizing the suggestion of including a conclusion about relevance to medicine; besides taking up precious words (that could otherwise be used to provide more evidence of the attributes), it detracts from the focus of my essays. So my question to you is, how important do you think such a conclusion is?

Thanks again.

PS I liked your guide!

Thanks, glad you're finding it helpful :)

I don't think it's by any means necessary, and it's one of those situations where I don't think not including one would cause you to lose points, but writing a good concluding sentence could help you.

In any case, it wouldn't be a deal breaker.

What I do like it about it is that it shows you have thought about the question and your experiences, and that you have some insight into why you are being asked the question and subsequently the value of your experiences towards your development as a future physician.

I was hoping to verify what the 3 sketch essays are asking for. Should the essays focus more on what the nature of the activity was and what my responsibilities were, or what I learned or felt through doing the activity and how it cultivated my maturity, sense of altruism etc.?

I guess what I am asking is whether the essays should take an objective or subjective angle...Many thanks for your help!

I was hoping to verify what the 3 sketch essays are asking for. Should the essays focus more on what the nature of the activity was and what my responsibilities were, or what I learned or felt through doing the activity and how it cultivated my maturity, sense of altruism etc.?

I guess what I am asking is whether the essays should take an objective or subjective angle...Many thanks for your help!

I would highlight both of those aspects.

It's hard to say, but I think that they will be read together. As a precaution, I avoided using the same topics.

They are read separately. Their website states that the 4 questions are marked independently of everything else and your abs + 3 activities section is marked separately of everything else. So don't refer to things on other parts of your application.

http://www.md.utoronto.ca/admissions/information/Non-Academic.htm

They are read separately. Their website states that the 4 questions are marked independently of everything else and your abs + 3 activities section is marked separately of everything else. So don't refer to things on other parts of your application.

http://www.md.utoronto.ca/admissions/information/Non-Academic.htm

I understand that we shouldn't refer to things on other parts of the application, but could we use one activity to address both a personal essay and one of the three detailed ABS? Or will this be lack of variety be bad?

For example, could someone talk about their experiences to qualify as an Olympic athlete in both the ABS and 4) Tell us about a time you had difficulty completing a project or endeavour, and what strategies you used to get over the hurdle

Archived