Premed 101 Forums

3rd/4th year courses feedback

I'm just wanting feedback on these courses (the workload and how the exams are). Thanks.

Anatomy and Cell Biology 4461B - Translational Models of Cancer

Anatomy and Cell Biology 4451F/G - Integrative Neuroscience

Pharm 3620

Physiology 3120 + 3140

Biochemistry 3385

Can you guys also suggest some 3rd or 4th year classes to take as course registration is starting soon. I've already taken ACB 3309 + 3319 and also Immunology 3300.

I'm just wanting feedback on these courses (the workload and how the exams are). Thanks.

Anatomy and Cell Biology 4451F/G - Integrative Neuroscience

Pharm 3620

Physiology 3120 + 3140

Biochemistry 3385

Can you guys also suggest some 3rd or 4th year classes to take as course registration is starting soon. I've already taken ACB 3309 + 3319 and also Immunology 3300.

Pharm 3620 isn't time consuming, but it's conceptually difficult. It was my lowest mark in all my years at UWO. Some of the profs are amazing and ask fair questions, while others are poor lecturers who ask ambiguous MCQs. The final is full-year cumulative, which does take a while to study for. Overall, though, it is a very interesting course. I'd recommend it.

Phys 3120 is very interesting, as well. Most of the profs are excellent and fair. It's not a lot of work throughout the semester, but there is a lot to study for the exams. The final is full-year cumulative (like pharm), so it naturally requires a lot of study time. There is a lot less to memorize than in pharm, though.

Phys 3140 is okay. It teaches you the little details that are often key parts of broader physiological mechanisms. As far as taking it for interest's sake, I would probably only take it if you are in phys and/or just really like cell signalling pathways, GPCRs, the physics of ion conduction, etc. Again, some of the profs are good, some not so much. The final was pretty hard, but not too bad. Even a good chunk of the questions that weren't multiple-multiples (I think maybe 50% were multiple-multiples, roughly... just know that it's a lot, as is 3120) had options like "A and D" and "none of the above".

I would recommend biochem 3386B. The course content is fairly interesting. There are two MCQ exams, each worth 50%. They are non-cumulative. Also, get this - no multiple multiples!!! Yep. Not gonna lie, though, the lectures are dull and the profs aren't the best lecturers. This course isn't a lot of work and is pretty easy to do well in, provided you can memorize lots of minutia.

Pharm 3620 isn't time consuming, but it's conceptually difficult. It was my lowest mark in all my years at UWO. Some of the profs are amazing and ask fair questions, while others are poor lecturers who ask ambiguous MCQs. The final is full-year cumulative, which does take a while to study for. Overall, though, it is a very interesting course. I'd recommend it.

Phys 3120 is very interesting, as well. Most of the profs are excellent and fair. It's not a lot of work throughout the semester, but there is a lot to study for the exams. The final is full-year cumulative (like pharm), so it naturally requires a lot of study time. There is a lot less to memorize than in pharm, though.

Phys 3140 is okay. It teaches you the little details that are often key parts of broader physiological mechanisms. As far as taking it for interest's sake, I would probably only take it if you are in phys and/or just really like cell signalling pathways, GPCRs, the physics of ion conduction, etc. Again, some of the profs are good, some not so much. The final was pretty hard, but not too bad. Even a good chunk of the questions that weren't multiple-multiples (I think maybe 50% were multiple-multiples, roughly... just know that it's a lot, as is 3120) had options like "A and D" and "none of the above".

I would recommend biochem 3386B. The course content is fairly interesting. There are two MCQ exams, each worth 50%. They are non-cumulative. Also, get this - no multiple multiples!!! Yep. Not gonna lie, though, the lectures are dull and the profs aren't the best lecturers. This course isn't a lot of work and is pretty easy to do well in, provided you can memorize lots of minutia.

I'm def talking biochem 3386B this year as well as physio 3120 and biochem 3385A. I'm just wondering if the profs of pharm 3620 provide sample exam questions.

Guest levski21
I'm def talking biochem 3386B this year as well as physio 3120 and biochem 3385A. I'm just wondering if the profs of pharm 3620 provide sample exam questions.

i took clinical biochem and it was my lowest mark... by far. and I had a 92% average

I took this course a few years back so I'm not sure if it changed since then. The workload when I took it was actually heavier than I expected. There was quite a bit of writing, group work and presentations. The profs expect you to show up to ever class because part of your grade is participation. It's very research focused but gave really great foundation knowledge about cancer. I don't recall there being a midterm (but you'll be busy enough with projects and reading papers) and the final exam was mostly written (based on tutorial and lecture sessions). Overall a pretty interesting course but I think I just found it hard balance its projects with everything else going on in the winter semester of fourth year cause when I took it, the classes were on Mondays and Fridays and it was pretty inconvenient having mandatory classes on those days when I had to be out of town for interviews.

Thanks for the feedback. I noticed a lot of 4th year phys courses that I'm interested in require phys 3140a which is why I might consider taking it although I heard that the class is a gpa killer and my first 2 years aren't really good.

Thanks for the feedback. I noticed a lot of 4th year phys courses that I'm interested in require phys 3140a which is why I might consider taking it although I heard that the class is a gpa killer and my first 2 years aren't really good.

Before you think of taking 3140 just for 4000-level courses, note the priorities/restrictions on these courses. Depending on your major, you may not stand much of a chance at even getting into those courses and then taking 3140 would be a total waste. Check out: http://www.schulich.uwo.ca/bmsc/courses-access for this year's priorities (should be similar next year).

I've heard of people in general Med Sci getting around the 3140A/3130Y prerequisites issue simply by emailing the profs.

Before you think of taking 3140 just for 4000-level courses, note the priorities/restrictions on these courses. Depending on your major, you may not stand much of a chance at even getting into those courses and then taking 3140 would be a total waste. Check out: http://www.schulich.uwo.ca/bmsc/courses-access for this year's priorities (should be similar next year).

It depends on the course. It's helpful to look at what filled up right away this year on the timetable. E.g. I'm not going back to UWO :(, but 3/4 of the 4th year Phys courses I was planning on taking are listed as "Not Full".

Hey, I'm thinking of taking 3620 because it will open doors to other good pharm courses in 4th year. Is that a good enough reason to take it? I hear that it is a hard course, so I'm just wondering whether this reason is enough. I dont want my GPA to take a huge hit because of this course. Thanks.

Hey, I'm thinking of taking 3620 because it will open doors to other good pharm courses in 4th year. Is that a good enough reason to take it? I hear that it is a hard course, so I'm just wondering whether this reason is enough. I dont want my GPA to take a huge hit because of this course. Thanks.

I'm also wondering about this. Also how much of a disadvantage would I be if I didn't take phys 3120 before or during the time I take this course? Thanks.

Also, what do most people who don't have 2 "good" years interms of gpa, and are desperate to succeed in the last 2 recommend for basic med sci courses to open up 4th year?

Its a scare picking courses because my second year gpa was destroyed by biostats alone! So Im kind of scarred picking courses, especially if there are ways around them.

I was personally thinking taking phys 3120/3140 to open up my doors 4th year, but I heard horror things about phys 3140 which is signalling big red flags to me! Are there any other ways to open up 4th year with fair courses in 3rd year without the risk of bombing my gpa again? What do u recommend the best courses to take? Thanks.

Also, what do most people who don't have 2 "good" years interms of gpa, and are desperate to succeed in the last 2 recommend for basic med sci courses to open up 4th year?

Its a scare picking courses because my second year gpa was destroyed by biostats alone! So Im kind of scarred picking courses, especially if there are ways around them.

I was personally thinking taking phys 3120/3140 to open up my doors 4th year, but I heard horror things about phys 3140 which is signalling big red flags to me! Are there any other ways to open up 4th year with fair courses in 3rd year without the risk of bombing my gpa again? What do u recommend the best courses to take? Thanks.

There are plenty of upper year phys courses that don't need 3140a so if you want to boost GPA and have good options I would say you will be fine without it. 3120 is not easy but it is interesting and opens a lot of doors. Would recommend it.

There are plenty of upper year phys courses that don't need 3140a so if you want to boost GPA and have good options I would say you will be fine without it. 3120 is not easy but it is interesting and opens a lot of doors. Would recommend it.

that sounds really encouraging, but, I really thought that ud need 3140 with 3120 to open up any phys courses in 4th. Would those 4th year courses that only 3120 open be enough to full fill the discipline?

Regarding phys 3120 difficulty - I can understand why its not easy due to many factors of this course. But would you say an 80+ is really doable by lots of time put into this course? Like how would u recommend going about this course making phys manageable and at least 80+?

thank you

that sounds really encouraging, but, I really thought that ud need 3140 with 3120 to open up any phys courses in 4th. Would those 4th year courses that only 3120 open be enough to full fill the discipline?

Regarding phys 3120 difficulty - I can understand why its not easy due to many factors of this course. But would you say an 80+ is really doable by lots of time put into this course? Like how would u recommend going about this course making phys manageable and at least 80+?

thank you

I'm also wondering about this as well. Also what 4th year phys courses would you recommend taking?

I'm also wondering about this as well. Also what 4th year phys courses would you recommend taking?

80+ is definitely do-able. As is 90+, if you put the time into the course. People complain about it, but it is not bad if you study... A good upper-year phys course is stem cell bio/regenerative medicine. Fair course and VERY interesting.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm also wondering about this. Also how much of a disadvantage would I be if I didn't take phys 3120 before or during the time I take this course? Thanks.

I actually found that the professors tended to explain to you the physiology that you needed to know. That being said, I took Phys 3120 concurrently so it would be hard to say what would happen if I didn't.

I found Pharm 3620 to be an AMAZING course - the professors are all well known in their fields, they were all good instructors, and the exams were straightforward and fair (as long as you knew your stuff).

It's also an incredibly useful course for medical school; I still reference their slides on occasion.

Archived