Premed 101 Forums

Queen's Interview Invites/Regrets 2014

TIME STAMP: 4:00

Rejection

14/14/11

ECs: Thought they were good but guess not

OOP UG

With the amount of rejections sent out after the glitch, it seems like it could be a system problem where everyone got rejected. I think it happened a few years ago too.

Someone should probably call Queens. Seems as if everyone who got an email past 3pm was an auto-rejection. No one got an invite post system crash.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haha don't give me that glimmer of hope! Although it is odd that there are only around 20 invites on this years thread vs 50 on last years. I'm sure they will start trickling in. I think someone posted about having a 2 sentence rejection letter, whereas mine was two paragraphs. What did everyone else's look like?

TIME STAMP: 12:37

Result: Invite

GPA: 3.93 (don't know weighted)

MCAT: PS 14/VR 10/BS 14/S

ECs: Pretty good: community volunteering for a couple years, 2 summers research w/ bunch of grants and presentation awards, honours project, competitive sports, experienced pilot.

Year: UG 4th OOP

TIME STAMP: 2:50 pm

Result: Rejection

GPA: 3.50 cGPA, 3.84 best 2 years

MCAT: 14/8/12 (That pesky verbal ahhh) Really don't want to write again. This was already my second time (1st time was 11/6/10).

ECs: 5 publications, 4 abstracts, 1 oral poster presentation, hospital volunteering (1 year), physio rehab centre volunteering (2.5 years), research lab volunteer (1.5 years), volunteer at diabetes/autism awareness/fundraiser events, multiple scholarships but nothing too remarkable (No NSERC/CIHR/OGS), have served on multiple departmental committees as an undergrad and grad student, was also employed throughout my undergrad including one summer as a lab tech, TA'd 11 different anatomy labs and 2 physiology labs, did an UG research project

Year: 2nd year Masters

Applied: UofT, Queen's, Western, McMaster

Rejected pre-interview: Queen's, Western, McMaster

Interviews:

Pretty disappointed. I really wanted Queen's. :(

TIME STAMP: Jan 31 12:32 PM

wGPA: 3.97

MCAT: 9PS/10VR/14BS

ECs: lots of university leadership positions, multiple scholarships, volunteer with at-risk youth, hospital volunteer, part-time jobs, intramural sports, overseas & wet-lab research experience, 1 literature review....

Year: 4th year UG

I feel ecstatic that I received a Queens invite with a 9 in PS...I was expecting a big rejection but it turned out to be a really nice surprise.

TIME STAMP: Jan 31 4:01 PM

Result: Rejection

wGPA: 3.98

MCAT: 14/10/13

ECs: Tutoring, TA, exec of a few clubs, hospital shadowing, intramural, band, track and field, volunteer at a retirement home, a few academic awards etc

Year: 4th year UG

Somewhat upset, but I'm not too surprised. They rejected me last year as well

Haha don't give me that glimmer of hope! Although it is odd that there are only around 20 invites on this years thread vs 50 on last years. I'm sure they will start trickling in. I think someone posted about having a 2 sentence rejection letter, whereas mine was two paragraphs. What did everyone else's look like?

Mine was 2 sentences as well...

TIME STAMP: 4:02 pm

Result: Rejected

wGPA: 3.94 best 2 years

MCAT: PS11/VR10/BS13

ECs: pretty average (definitely beginning to think below average) - Some research, NSERC, no pubs, hospital volunteering, exec of 2 campus clubs, director of 2 clubs, work with non-profit, health-related employment and other employment, volunteer work with special-needs children, intramural sports, involved in plenty of other fun things in uni and high school.

Year: Completed UG

No invites for me. Guess I'm out of the race :( just UofT left and there's not much hope for me there. But this has definitely been an eye-opener and good learning experience! Hopefully next year.

Good luck to all of those who got an interview! You all have truly amazing stats and have earned the opportunity.

This post is just to give some hope to future applicants with lower stats. Sorry to all of you who got rejected with higher GPAs and MCAT scores

TIME STAMP: 12:32 pm EST

wGPA: < 3.8; cGPA: < 3.7

MCAT: 12 PS, 13 VR, 10 BS

ECs: Nothing galactus level like competing at the olympics or having a 1st author Cell paper... but I've done various things at a decently high level for an extended period of time.

Year: Master's student

TIME STAMP: 4:02 pm

Result: Rejected

GPA: 3.95 (OMSAS)

MCAT: PS11/VR11/BS12

ECs: Many academic based scholarships during UG, several scholarships during MSc including NSERC, 4 pubs (not first author), health related volunteering >2 years, shadowing, exec of 2 campus clubs during UG, tutored 3years, many local and international conference presentations and abstracts, employment in research oriented field and non research oriented fields, cycling.

Year: 2nd year MSc

Guess was not meant to be.

TIME STAMP: 12:34pm

Result: Invitation

cGPA: 3.79 2YGPA: ~3.76

MCAT: 11/11/14

ECs: Lots of awards related to athletics and arts, minimal research, 6+ years coaching in 3 disciplines (some international teams), some more assorted things

Year: UG (completed)

Queen's was a complete wildcard for me. A pleasant surprise.

TIME STAMP: 4:03 pm

Result: Reject

GPA (omsas):3.93

MCAT: 10/10/13 and 10/11/10

ECs: research (NSERC/AIHS etc), many poster presentations, executives for 6 health related clubs, president of my own club, badminton player, hospital peds volunteer, lots of work with teaching children, crap loads of shadowing in all fields of medicine, LOTS of awards, full-year part time job at a pharmacy, personal paid tutor.

Year: 3rd year UG.

Pretty bummed out. I dont know what I was expecting to be honest, but this feels like total crap.

TIME STAMP: 3:58 pm

Result: Reject

GPA: 3.86 2yr: 3.96

MCAT: 11/10/14

ECs: lots of research, lots of work, lots of drinking, some ECs, few awards, more detail in ottawa thread

Year: Completed UG

After looking at some other stats, I really have no idea what they are looking for. Seems like everyone applying is so impressive that they get to an app, roll the dice, and anyone that gets a 6 gets an interview. who knows. congrats to those who did, all of you look impressive

Archived