Premed 101 Forums

"lifestyle" IM residency?

darknebula

My thoughts as a recent residency grad in community practice (ICU, but my base training was IM):

If you've decided on IM, I wouldn't worry so much about call/workload, as other factors are probably far more important to your career satisfaction. It's only 3 years, of which less than half the time is on CTU. All programs have similar call requirements and elective time over the 3 core years; the differences are not nearly as pronounced as people make them out to be. Compare this with your eventual practice career, which will be 20 years or more. Consider instead where you want to be long term and choose the program that suits that goal. Particularly with a tightening job market, it is much easier to find a position in the city of your choice by training in that city and making contacts. Do you have a subspecialty in mind? - this may also play a role in your decision.

• 1 month later...

Choose a different residency. All IM residencies are more or less the same in their structure and amount of call and workload.

Also note that most residencies will take over your life with the exception of family medicine, derm, and path. They are more lifestyle but still requires quite a bit of work.

Choose a different residency. All IM residencies are more or less the same in their structure and amount of call and workload.

Also note that most residencies will take over your life with the exception of family medicine, derm, and path. They are more lifestyle but still requires quite a bit of work.

Pathology has the best lifestyle;)

It is also the most interesting field.

Archived