Premed 101 Forums

Better Chances In The Us?

_  _

Hello,

I am considering the US, as I wasn't able to get an 11VR, and due to a poor first year (3.4....) my cGPA is only a 3.8 (following 3.95 and 4.0 years)

I have a 35 MCAT (11/10/14), would this be able to make up for my mediocre GPA in the states?

Thanks so much

note: I have MSAR, but there's still an overhwhelming amount of schools, and I don't know how low I need to shoot as an international application vs the averages listed?

also, I'm aware of the DO option but I'm not just comfortable with the risk given the amount of money a degree will cost :)

Hello,

I am considering the US, as I wasn't able to get an 11VR, and due to a poor first year (3.4....) my cGPA is only a 3.8 (following 3.95 and 4.0 years)

I have a 35 MCAT (11/10/14), would this be able to make up for my mediocre GPA in the states?

Thanks so much

note: I have MSAR, but there's still an overhwhelming amount of schools, and I don't know how low I need to shoot as an international application vs the averages listed?

also, I'm aware of the DO option but I'm not just comfortable with the risk given the amount of money a degree will cost :)

You have competitive stats, it will come down to your personal statement and ECs.

As an FYI, the DO option isn't really a disadvantage if you arent looking at super competitive specialties in the US. But I would try for USMD first, you have a strong profile -stats wise.

I'm in ON, which is my first choice but I'm just looking at applying to the US in case I don't get in here because of my verbal score/low first year GPA (seems to limit me a lot)

I have a lot of things to write in the personal statement so I don't think that'll be too bad, but I am a bit worried about the EC side of things because I have worked throughout undergrad, and I haven't had the luxury of volunteering a lot. That said:

undergrad:

1 NSERC summer reserach (conference, no publication)

2+ years of assisting with other's research in labs (part-time job, about 8hrs/week)

3 years retail work, 1 summer at a center for disabilities support, 2 summers as dept. national defense support staff

2 years tutoring (4hrs/week)

1 year ER volunteering

some volunteering for blood services

on university heath policy committee (drafting the official mental health policy for the school)

then other clubs/hobbies

high school: formerly in a professional performing arts school, 14yrs of this, and performed with the main companies in canada, moved away from home to do this at 13)

I'm a bit worried because the US websites really seem to emphasize community service? I'm not sure if that looks bad considering I don't have too much

And do you apply to schools with stats similar to yours? Or are there unwritten rules that it's best to apply only to schools with lower stats as a canadian? (i.e. MCAT around 30ish)

I'm in ON, which is my first choice but I'm just looking at applying to the US in case I don't get in here because of my verbal score/low first year GPA (seems to limit me a lot)

I have a lot of things to write in the personal statement so I don't think that'll be too bad, but I am a bit worried about the EC side of things because I have worked throughout undergrad, and I haven't had the luxury of volunteering a lot. That said:

undergrad:

1 NSERC summer reserach (conference, no publication)

2+ years of assisting with other's research in labs (part-time job, about 8hrs/week)

3 years retail work, 1 summer at a center for disabilities support, 2 summers as dept. national defense support staff

2 years tutoring (4hrs/week)

1 year ER volunteering

some volunteering for blood services

on university heath policy committee (drafting the official mental health policy for the school)

then other clubs/hobbies

high school: formerly in a professional performing arts school, 14yrs of this, and performed with the main companies in canada, moved away from home to do this at 13)

I'm a bit worried because the US websites really seem to emphasize community service? I'm not sure if that looks bad considering I don't have too much

And do you apply to schools with stats similar to yours? Or are there unwritten rules that it's best to apply only to schools with lower stats as a canadian? (i.e. MCAT around 30ish)

Just my 2 cents from my personal experience for your reference only,

1. GPA 3.8 MCAT 35 and better ECs than mine, you should just applied ALL MD schools in Canada to improve your chances, even move to other province for in-province status to improve your chance. Here's the link http://www.macleans.ca/work/jobs/rx-get-out-of-town-2/

2. AMCAS should be your backup plan, your LizzyM score 73 put you on the lower end of top tier schools in the USA, if you applied 10 schools from this list in June, you will have at least 3 ~ 5 interviews from my experience if you put 100% effort on your essays and applications - Case Western, Emory, Penn State, UVA, Virginia Commonwealth, Jefferson, Kentucky, SUNY-upstate, NYMC, Albert Einstein, Wayne state, Oakland, etc.

Just my 2 cents from my personal experience for your reference only,

1. GPA 3.8 MCAT 35 and better ECs than mine, you should just applied ALL MD schools in Canada to improve your chances, even move to other province for in-province status to improve your chance. Here's the link http://www.macleans.ca/work/jobs/rx-get-out-of-town-2/

2. AMCAS should be your backup plan, your LizzyM score 73 put you on the lower end of top tier schools in the USA, if you applied 10 schools from this list in June, you will have at least 3 ~ 5 interviews from my experience if you put 100% effort on your essays and applications - Case Western, Emory, Penn State, UVA, Virginia Commonwealth, Jefferson, Kentucky, SUNY-upstate, NYMC, Albert Einstein, Wayne state, Oakland, etc.

thanks! It is most certainly my back up plan, I would consider moving and working in a different province for a year too, just trying to sort out options at the moment.

As far as the schools you listed there, from your experience do you need to aim for US schools with slightly lower stats (i.e. should I aim for ones with ~30 MCAT) as an international applicant, or am I good for schools in the 33-36 range which appears to be the middle?

Archived