Premed 101 Forums

Below Average Interview - Any Advice?

Hello,

I'm hoping to reach out to the community for some insight and advice as I've felt lost ever since getting that regrets email a few weeks ago. This is my second application and second post-interview regrets email that I've received from UBC in a row. I've gotten below average for both of the interviews.

This time was especially disappointing as I practiced way more than the first time but yet still received the same interview score. In general I felt I was able to express myself with more power and conviction than in my first application.

Has anyone been in a similar position and got in eventually after below average interviews in the previous applications? Any advice for practicing this next year? I'm hoping to join a toastmasters club.

I'm feeling hopeless and lost about the whole process and I'm hoping for some positive advice. Thanks in advance.

You may want to spend some time with an interview coach (maybe a service on campus?) so that you can get feedback on how you sound, where you tend to look, and what your body language looks like. Either that or find a super critical friend that doesn't hesitate to give you that kind of feedback when practicing. Joining a club like toastmasters can't hurt but it's not focussed on interview prep from what I've heard. I think the key is to find some way to be able to be yourself and say what's on your mind clearly even if you're feeling super nervous and stressed out. 

The biggest thing is to not get too down, "below average" in a hyper competitive pool of medical school applicants isn't as bad as it sounds. You're still awesome, keep trying and of course do things to better yourself! 

If you're a UBC student, there are some people at career services who may be able to give you some interview tips and perhaps to a mock 1o1 to see qualities that the poster above me mentioned.

The key for me was to practice with people that I didn't know as well. I started out practicing with my best friends, which was fine, but I was able to largely predict the answers they would give. Once I started practicing with different people, I got to hear different answers I hadn't thought of and that was the major benefit for me. 

I think people have a misconception that to get in, you have to be perfect in your interview. I can honestly say not a single one of my interviews was perfect. They're just looking for the ability to consider different views and perspectives. Grand total I likely only practiced 10-15 hours, which I believe is far less than many others. I didn't read any books or anything like that either. It's really about finding what works for you personally. 

Find out what works for you. I interviewed 3 times, last 2 years I practiced a ton, only interviewed at UBC and one other school and was rejected. This year I took an MMI prep course and got in to 4 schools across Canada. Just food for thought. Best money I've ever spent. Probably not necessary but I don't think I would have gotten in without it

in4hate

Find out what works for you. I interviewed 3 times, last 2 years I practiced a ton, only interviewed at UBC and one other school and was rejected. This year I took an MMI prep course and got in to 4 schools across Canada. Just food for thought. Best money I've ever spent. Probably not necessary but I don't think I would have gotten in without it

in4hate

If you don't mind me asking, what prep course did you take?

Archived