Premed 101 Forums

Is A Combined Honours Degree Worth It?

Future.MD

Combined Degree vs Specialized Degree  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Is a combined degree worth the work?

• Yes, keep working through it. The extra degree will help separate you from the mass of Biology Majors.
    • No, you should specialize your program into your area of interest as you will enjoy your education more.

I am currently doing a Biology and Neuroscience Combined honours degree and I am questioning whether the added workload is worth it. I have to take a couple psychology courses to obtain the Neuroscience degree, I really do not enjoy psychology and the added workload is weighing on me at the moment. 

If hypothetically, I decide to work in the government and purse a masters degree later on, would having an extra degree be advantageous IF you are not expecting to work in the field? (I am more interested in Biology than Neuroscience, but I thought it would be an interesting add on to my paper). 

There are quite a few biology majors out there and I figured having a second degree would help my chances in being hired. 

Should I push through the coursework and get the second degree or specialize my undergraduate degree more into the area of my interest?

The answer is definitely personal.  I can speak from my experience that my combined degree in two disparate fields that it was worth it - not because I was gunning for med school, but because it gave me the ability to move between fields really easily. I was viewed as an asset to any job I applied to because I had an unusual combination of skills.  The key was I enjoyed all aspects of my combined degree and that with fields I was maybe had maybe dozen students in my faculty of 24000.  

For you, the biggest factor would be that you do not enjoy the neuroscience aspect and that the combined program overly stresses you.  If I was in the same situation, I would not be doing a combined program. 

For you, the biggest factor would be that you do not enjoy the neuroscience aspect and that the combined program overly stresses you.  If I was in the same situation, I would not be doing a combined program. 

This exactly. Can you switch and do a combined bio and [insert field you DO like] degree?

I hold the degree you are going for. I really loved neuro and most of my courses were transferrable to biology so that worked in my favour :)

My understanding is it is all about grades. A joint degree holds no more standing than a one major degree. If you are stressed and do not enjoy a course you will not perform as well as you would in one you like. 

I am a federal employee and can guarantee that the addition of a joint degree has no standing in job competitions. It is the courses themselves that you have taken. I can apply many of my psychology courses to human relevant job positions. Having a degree helps, in itself, for basically every job as you can check that box on your application. I use my upper level courses to full fill other criteria, for instance presentations and leading group discussions. If your honours degree requires a thesis, as mine did, it gives you research experience and opens more doors. 

My vote would be do what you enjoy, Honours Biology. From what I read for medicine applications and from my experience in the federal government holding the joint degree would not advance you in either process. 

Archived