Premed 101 Forums

Mcgill Non-Traditional Interview Invites/regrets 2016

MedMama

Hello,

I thought it may be helpful to start a thread for non-traditional applicants since it may be difficult to find this information in the regular invite thread. Feel free to edit the template below. All the best to everyone! Just 2 more weeks until we know!

Result: Invited/Refused

cGPA:

ECs:

Level of education: Bachelors, Masters, PhD

Thoughts on your CVPN:

• 2 weeks later...

Result: Further Review Required

cGPA: 3.92

ECs: Lots of life experience, academic work in my professional field, volunteer work (I'm older than most); nothing medical related

Level of Education: B.Sc. LL.B. B.C.L. (undergraduate professional law degrees)

Thoughts on CVPN: I gave it my best shot.

I apologize for being a bit vague, but I feel like if we're too specific within this small group, we might as well be signing off with our full name (you guys are braver than me).

Result: Invited

cGPA: higher than the average being interviewed

ECs: really diverse and one of my strong points I'd say, lots of work and life experience; I've dabbled in a lot of things thanks to age

Thoughts on your CVPN: I spent a lot of time on it, editing for weeks, weighing each word to make sure it had a good reason for being there

Looking forward to meeting some of you in a few weeks!

Result: Invited! 

cGPA: 3.75

ECs: Work experience (research) in the pharmaceutical industry, variety of volunteer experiences, publications and posters

Level of Education: B.Sc. 

Thoughts on CVPN: It was a challenge trying to fit my thoughts into 250 words per question but I thought it was a good reflective exercise. I spent a lot of time on it and had it proofread by 2 other people.

cGPA: 3.96

ECs: Lots of awards, few publications, lots of volunteering, and  'life-experiences'

Level of education: PhD

Thoughts on your CVPN: I think I had a good story for each question. I was satisfied with my answers and I got it proofread by some friends.

Does anyone know if the interview style for NTP is going to be the same as it was for the University category? Does anyone here has experience with the interview process in NTP from the past? Any advice?

I'll kick off the refused stats  :)

Result: Refused, email received April 11 at 10:40 pm

cGPA: 3.2 (undergrad), I know the website said it was "in the competitive range" but looking at the invited GPAs I would say that isn't true!

ECs: Varied - volunteering at a hospice, St. John ambulance, working with aphasia patients, etc ..., sports, publications (x6), conference presentations (national and international), work experience, "life experience"

Thoughts on your CVPN: I put a fair amount of time into it, had friends proofread it, thought it was true to myself.

Ah well, thought it was a long shot to begin with. I wish everyone else the best of luck for interviews in May! Congrats!! 

ECs: Lots of awards, few publications, lots of volunteering, and  'life-experiences'

Thoughts on your CVPN: I think I had a good story for each question. I was satisfied with my answers and I got it proofread by some friends.

Does anyone know if the interview style for NTP is going to be the same as it was for the University category? Does anyone here has experience with the interview process in NTP from the past? Any advice?

The format should be the same for NTP as for the University category (that is, Multiple-Mini-Interview). You can find more information about the MMI on the McGill website (https://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/mdis).

I'll kick off the refused stats  :)

Result: Refused, email received April 11 at 10:40 pm

cGPA: 3.2 (undergrad), I know the website said it was "in the competitive range" but looking at the invited GPAs I would say that isn't true!

ECs: Varied - volunteering at a hospice, St. John ambulance, working with aphasia patients, etc ..., sports, publications (x6), conference presentations (national and international), work experience, "life experience"

Thoughts on your CVPN: I put a fair amount of time into it, had friends proofread it, thought it was true to myself.

Ah well, thought it was a long shot to begin with. I wish everyone else the best of luck for interviews in May! Congrats!! 

Thank you! Wishing you the best at the other universities you obtained invitations to :)

Last year, NTP interview was with Univ category, both English and French together running in parallel. Last year NTP started with playing games, seeing presentations from the faculty and talks with NTP from previous years, taking snacks and signing papers, before going to the MMI. After the MMI, classic buffet lunch was served (whereas for the morning group, they got only sandwiches!). As NTP is a small group, there was plenty of time to talk with the other candidates, before and after the stations at the same table while eating good things. You get to know each other more and more, and might think wow everyone is so nice and so special! However, after all, only a small percent of the group make it through...

This is how it past for last year. This year the schedule may change as many things seems to be reorganized. Good luck!

• 5 weeks later...

Hi folks,

My result just got posted on Minerva, but I haven't received an email yet :

Result: Admitted with condition

cGPA: 3.85/4

ECs: I was very involved in the student union at McGill, including being on the executive committe for a year, and I have been working as a community organizer for the past few years in Montreal. I have also worked for a civil liberties organization in Quebec. 

Level of education: Bachelor's degree in Sociology

Thoughts on your CVPN: I mainly tried to outline how I have worked for a few years with marginalized people in many regions of Quebec as part of my current job. I think it may have helped that I demonstrated a desire to work with underserved populations.

Can't wait to meet the other two non-traditional applicants who got accepted!

To the others who have been waitlisted or turned down : feel free to PM me to ask me for more information about my application or my thoughts about the interview process. Good luck and don't give up! Maybe one day we'll meet at the MUHC or in a medical conference.

Result: Waitlisted (unsure of rank)

cGPA: 3.81/4

ECs: International sports competitions as player and coach, business competitions, volunteering as community kitchen organizer and nutrition educator.

Level of education: B.Sc & M.Sc. Biochemistry, B.Sc. Dietetics. Awards (CIHR, OGS) & publications/presentations. 

Thoughts on your CVPN: Thought I had a good mix of research, clinical (currently working as a Dietitian in acute care hospital), and coaching/team work demonstrated.

Congrats to those accepted.

Result: Waitlisted (rank not yet indicated)

My invite stats are mentioned earlier in this thread. I felt the MMI went very well and enjoyed the experience.

It was a pleasure meeting many of you and I wish you the best!

Accepted off the waiting list in the NTP category!! Just checked Minerva and couldn't believe my eyes! The waitlist is moving! Don't give up hope :)

Congratulations! - I don't know if we met at the interviews - I didn't get a chance to speak with all of the NTP candidates. I thought it was a great group and was honoured just to be part of it. You should be especially proud that you made the top 3 or 4. Best of luck.

Congratulations! - I don't know if we met at the interviews - I didn't get a chance to speak with all of the NTP candidates. I thought it was a great group and was honoured just to be part of it. You should be especially proud that you made the top 3 or 4. Best of luck.

Thank you so much! I also found the group really great and wished there could be more spots for more of us :) I met most of the NTP candidates but didn't get the chance to speak with all. Wish you the very best :)

• 1 month later...

Archived