Premed 101 Forums

Recommend textbooks?

Hey there, couldn't find any posts about this but please direct me to them if I missed them. As someone coming from a very traditional/didactic background, I was wondering if any current Mac students had any textbooks that they would recommend or found particularly useful in terms of prepping for tutorials. Thanks!

Cardiology: Lilly's, The only EKG book you'll ever need (Thaler)
Respirology: I used Harrison's for this section primarily
Hematology: Harrison's, Pathophysiology of Blood Disorders
GI: First Principles of Gastroenterology, Harrison's (seeing a trend yet?)
Endo: Greenspan's

That should hold you over from MF1-2. Also make sure you use resources like Medscape, UpToDate to understand things from a clinical perspective as well (e.g. what investigations have the most sensitivity/specificity, what you might see on physical exam, etc.). These textbooks are great for understanding pathophys, but kinda fall flat in this regard.

Also start to train yourself to learn approaches to things - patients will rarely walk in and say "I am having a myocardial infarction", they'll say "I'm having chest pain". So accordingly, you need an approach to chest pain. Textbooks are not good for this IMO; you'll learn this in clinical skills, and it'll be reinforced in clerkship. Just something to keep in mind.

Archived