Premed 101 Forums

Inpatient vs outpatient

I've been told that one of the ways to decide on a specialty is to decide on the preferred practice environment i.e. inpatient or outpatient setting. While I'm only going into second year, my limited experience (from standing at the back watching and listening) tells me I'm more comfortable in the outpatient setting -- it could be the pace, the predictability, or just the fact that I feel like I can follow along a bit better with my lack of knowledge. 

Did any of you feel this way? Do I grow out of it? Is this something you figure out once clerkship hits? Shadowing helps somewhat, but I don't think it is representative of actual clinical experience. 

I certainly found the distinction of inpatient vs outpatient helpful. Most specialties will have a mix of both, so it's not the greatest way of distinguishing between specialties, but some lean far heavier one way than another, so it can certainly help in making a decision.

Clerkship definitely helps to clarify which setting you prefer, or even if it's indeed a clear divide. Some outpatient setting might be a lot more attractive then others, while some inpatient settings might turn out to be fairly enjoyable.

medicine v. surgery

adult v. paediatric

inpatient v. outpatient

-->Pretty much in that order.

Also consider how much you enjoy the content, patient population, procedural/non-procedural, work/life balance, autonomy, call requirements, etc.

I found electives to be pretty illuminating.

Archived