Premed 101 Forums

Canadian Citizen - USMG - MCCQE Required for CaRMs?

Hey guys,

I just started my 4th year in an Allopathic US MD school.  I'm applying to both CaRMs and ERAS.  I couldn't find very clear info on CaRMs website.  I know i'm considered as a CMG in the R-1 iteration.  However, do I need to take the MCCQE prior to the end of this year?  Do I have to take it before I graduate (i.e. can it wait till next year)?  

I"m in the process of doing my away rotations and studying for USMLE Step 2 which is why I would rather not take another test in the next few months if possible.  I'd appreciate your advice.

Regards,

You don't need the MCCQE for Carms. IMGs don't even need it. (They do need the MCCEE and NAC). CMGs don't write it until after they match and you don't need it to start residency*. I would, however, recommend you consider taking it around the same time as your step 2 as the content is highly similar and you will save having to re-study. Obviously there are some Canadian specific things, especially the ethics and Canadian health care system portion, but most of my classmates and I used american test banks (Uworld step 2 bank) to study for the MCCQE.

*I have heard that you need it to start in Quebec but have not seen any evidence.

Archived