Premed 101 Forums

USA Visas

CMG.

Either ERAS/NRMP for new specialty, or fellowship if that doesn't pan out professionally. 

I know about J-1 (more common, requires returning to Canada after I'm done)

and H1B (harder to come by, but can stay there freely). 

By that time I'll have all steps of the USMLE

completely demolished, then I'm qualified for H1B.

That's all of my knowledge.

How do I get these visas? Are they automatic for ERAS/NRMP?

How long do they take? What documentation will I need?

What about transitional years?

The visas don't actually have anything to do with ERAS/NRMP.  More so the program you apply/match too. You'll have to ask all the programs(or filter on the various databases of the ACGME program lists) what they will sponsor. Most will say either no sponsorship, J1 only, or J1/H1B. Some that say only j1, will be persuaded to offer H1B once they realize your not an IMG (they are sometimes exceptions for students that need visa but attended Canadian MD/USMD/USDO programs in this case). 

J1 is run through ECFMG, H1B the program itself has to pay the sponsorship fees etc. As you know, you have to have all 3 steps done to be eligible for H1B.
The new potential issue with H1B is the lack of premium processing time...I havent talked to people lately about this(most are US grads so they have a special visa they can rely on for PGY1 called F1-OPTI...you woudlnt be eligible for this). 

TLDR: The programs that will be sponsoring your visa will be well aware of the process if they are offering it, they usually spearhead that.

J1 as everyone should know, also requires Health canada's stamp of approval via Statement of Need - so make sure whatever youre going to retrain in is eligible.

Double check if they have any restrictions on people who already have PGY training with regards to the SON process and J1 offering, i dont think they do(more so for IMGs). 

Lots of variables and fairly dependent on what you want to retrain in too etc.

Transitional years tend to be for PGY1, some US programs require them and they are generally called "prelim years" - specifically IM and Surgery as examples. Most of the time its preferred to have a full through: i.e. do the PGY1 prelim at the same hospital as your Categorical program(pgy2 onwards). Though its not uncommon to only match prelim PGY1 at Program X then apply and match for PGY2 onwards at another program B.

20 minutes ago, Cain said:

Thank you JohnGrisham for your informative reply.

As a follow up I am wondering about prelim years. I have done an internship in PGY1 and dont know if id have to repeat it in the states. Is this program dependent or based on rotations or what?

Likely very program dependent and specialtiy dependent...also what rotations you did in your prelim year PGY1 in Canada.

I wouldnt count on getting credit, but may be possible.  Would be much easier if you already know what specialty you want to go for, and then you can look up PGY2 positions that may be available and see what they think - to get a starting point.

Fairly new change: 

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/health-care-system/health-human-resources/statements-need-postgraduate-medical-training-united-states/medical-graduates-enrolled-canadian-postgraduate-training-licensed-practice-medicine-category-a.html

"

• NEW: physicians who possess a Canadian Standard Medical Licence (full licence) who wish to pursue a new field of practice."

So that would be you, you would seemingly be in Category B for SON re: J1. You must get fully licensed in Canada first and then you're good to apply, youll be restricted the same as first time applicants for residency, but you may have extra time on your side to line everything up right.

On 8/25/2017 at 10:23 PM, JohnGrisham said:

The new potential issue with H1B is the lack of premium processing time...I havent talked to people lately about this(most are US grads so they have a special visa they can rely on for PGY1 called F1-OPTI...you woudlnt be eligible for this). 

This may turn into a big issue.  Since no premium processing is available, I know some PGY1 IMGs were unable to secure a H1B in time to start training on July 1.  Programs were caught off guard.  I suspect fewer programs will offer to sponsor H1Bs next year given the headaches that were caused this time around.

21 minutes ago, Laika said:

This may turn into a big issue.  Since no premium processing is available, I know some PGY1 IMGs were unable to secure a H1B in time to start training on July 1.  Programs were caught off guard.  I suspect fewer programs will offer to sponsor H1Bs next year given the headaches that were caused this time around.

Yep, but to be fair, the proportion of programs that sponsor/IMGs that go on H1B is much smaller than J1 anyways.   They should have backed up with J1. 

Programs are far more inclined to give Foreign students studying at USMD/USDO programs H1B, because they can spend PGY1 on the F1-OPTI visa while having a whole year to process the H1B visa and take Step 3. For IMGS its much tighter timeline, unless they sit out a year, or go to a school where they graduate in December rather than May.  Even than, that really only helps with Step 3. The premium processing time is the bottleneck

On 8/25/2017 at 8:59 PM, Cain said:

I know about J-1 (more common, requires returning to Canada after I'm done)

and H1B (harder to come by, but can stay there freely).

I also know of a Canadian MD who's doing a fellowship in the US on an O visa.  (I think there's some flexibility regarding the "extraordinary ability" requirement).  Just another option...

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/27/2017 at 0:44 PM, Laika said:

Ugh - that's not good.

Archived